Monday, November 9, 2020

PSA: Thrift Savings Plan, Lost In Translation -- Novmeber 9, 2020

When it comes to "things" like the federal (or military) Thrift Savings Program, I follow such programs very, very carefully.

Apparently within the last month or so, the folks that manage the federal/military TSP changed log-in procedures. 

I completely missed the memo, assuming they sent out a special memo regarding new log-in procedures. If new procedures were simply mentioned in the monthly newsletter or the monthly statement I missed it.

Bottom line: one cannot log into the TSP the way we've been doing it for decades. To log into the TSP one must generate one's one USER ID. The password can remain the same, but the USER ID has to be updated. 

PSA: for TSP users who have not created their own unique USER ID in the past few months, when you log in, do not enter your "old" userid. It won't work. And I assume a lot of folks have been locked out.

One needs to skip the normal log in process and go immediately -- do not walk, but run; do not collect $200, go directly past "GO," and establish a new unique USER ID

I would have completely missed this had I not received the following (screenshot pending) in my e-mail. But as soon as I saw this, I immediately went to my TSP and figured out what all the commotion was about.

Fascinating.

By the way, I am unaware of any "mainstream" investment that has done better than the TSP. It is quite remarkable how well it has done.

No comments:

Post a Comment