Friday, October 23, 2020

PSA -- HP Printers -- October 23, 2020

I'll be off the net for an hour or so, maybe longer, before I get to the daily activity report, but before I begin the second half of my day with Sophia, a public service announcement. 

This is really weird. 

I've been using an HP inkjet printer for years, maybe six years, longer? I don't know. But it's been a long, long time. It's a "1510 series." The HP printer is a real workhorse. Ink is expensive but I don't print that much. The printer was working fine  yesterday.

But today, without warning, it quit printing. I did all the usual things including multiple re-boots of both the MacBook Air and the printer. Nothing worked.

I then tried the printer using a new MacBook Air that I keep as back-up in case my #1 MacBook Air quits working for any reason. The "new" MacBook Air didn't "drive" the printer either. That's when I noted a small dialogue box that casually stated that the software was compromised and it was simply best to re-install the driver. 

So, with almost no difficulty, I re-installed driver software for the HP 1510. The instructions and installation process suggested to me that the problem was not with my computer(s) or the software. It appears that HP has updated the software for their 1510 series. 

The re-installation worked perfectly and the printer is now working again, perfectly.

I re-installed the drive in my newer (the back-up) MacBook Air, and it, too, now works just fine. 

It's obvious that HP updated their drivers.

5 comments:

  1. maybe a cosmic ray affected the printer memory

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea but clearly HP has changed (I assume, improved) their printer driver software.

      Delete
    2. all about "Soft Errors"

      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft_error

      Delete
    3. I worked in semiconductor cleanrooms for a few decades prior to retirement

      Delete
    4. I'm pretty sure this was not caused by a cosmic ray.

      Delete