Saturday, October 24, 2020

Friday Night Fugue -- October 24, 2020

Friday night. 

I'm taking a break from the Bakken. 

If you came here for the Bakken, scroll down or check out the sidebar at the right. 

But tonight, it's music night. 

I generally start about this time, Friday nights, 10:20 p.m. local time and then jump from song to song to song and see where I end up after midnight -- hoping somewhere along the line to get into a fugue state -- see YouTubue Fugue -- I'm sure "everyone" does this.

Six months on either side of 1969 -- about an 18-month period -- some of the best music ever.

There was an 18-month-period, from late 1968 through mid-1970 that clearly had some of the best music ever.  This was the year of Woodstock. The Beatles were still going strong, but touring less, and would soon stop completely.  
Led Zeppelin's first two albums, Zeppelin I and Zeppelin II, were released in 1969. Self-titled "Velvet Underground" was released in 1969. The era of "free love" and the uncertainties of the Vietnam War probably contributed to some of this really incredible music. 
Speaking of the Vietnam war, I turned 18 in 1969. My lottery draft was July 1, 1970; my lottery number was 103. The highest lottery number called for this group was 125; all men assigned that lottery number or any lower number, and who were classified as available for military service, were called to report for possible induction. I would have been deferred by virtue of being enrolled in college. I was worried that I would be called up before I graduated from college. I was convinced, but wrong, that the war would still be going on when I graduated from college.

I was updating that page -- a lot of videos had been taken down by Google -- needed to get those songs "up" again. LOL.

I'm not sure if this is my all-time favorite song but it's certainly among the top five and it had been "removed." Looking for a replacement, I came across this one.

Vehicle, Ides of March, Jim Peterik
 
And then this cover:
 
Vehicle, Leonid and Friends
A Russian Band

Loud:

I Was Made For Lovin' You, Kiss
 
I actually had the transparent Apple computer featured in this video:
 
Strong Enough, Cher
 
This is why it's impossible to really leave California. Be sure to read the comments while listening to the song, and make sure you are wearing headphones and playing this very, very loud. If this doesn't come up in your Zumba rotation, you need a new Zumba instructor. LOL:

Hey, Mickey, Toni Basil
 
And, then, of course, that leads me to this one. I think folks can connect the dots. This may simply be one of the best music videos ever. There's much more to the Julianne-Moore-Valkyrie-outfit story:

Gutterballs, The Big Lebowski
 
Do you hear the Beatles in this song? Maybe earlier, but certainly starting at 1:20 and going for quite some time:

You're No Good, Linda Ronstadt
 
Not in a million years would I have guessed this song was first released back in 1959. The best phrasing.... "I feel so good today; I  just touched down on an international runway..."

Back in the USA, Linda Ronstadt, Chuck Berry, and Keith Richards
 
I don't care for the video, but the music is great:

Bus Stop, MonaLisa Twins

No comments:

Post a Comment