Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Ullage: Word Of The Day -- September 8, 2020

Word for the day, yesterday: ullage.

All that talk about China taking less oil this month (or was it last month?) and all that floating storage off-shore from China needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Link here.

Ullage: that empty space in the bottle between the top of the wine and the bottom of the cork. Link here:

Again, something I would not have known had I not blogged. 😆

Now, from ullage in a wine bottle, it's just a hop, skip, and a jump to working out the calculations for the ullage in a crude oil tanker. Link here.

***************************************
Blogging

This is quite incredible. It's a long story and not worth going into but earlier tonight I came across something that got me to thinking about protostomes and deuterostomes again, and that led me to the long-extinct acorn worm, specifically Spartobranchus tenuis, its fossil discovered in 2013. Unfortunately, and somewhat surprisingly, the wiki entry for this worm was very, very limited. 

I went back to google and went to the second hit which took me to something called "Life Before The Dinosaurs." It turns out that "Life Before The Dinosaurs" is a blog using the same layout and color scheme that I use for some of my other blogs. 

But this is what caught my attention. I'm looking for something incredibly obscure, and there it was, on a blog. At the blog, the blogger provides this background:

I started this blog when I was seven years old and I'm in high school now. I retired this blog several years ago, but I still check on it and you can still contact me.
Can you believe that. A seven-year-old starts this blog on "life before dinosaurs" back in 2011, and the is blog is now the second hit on a google search involving acorn worms. 

If you really want to be blown away, read the note from his mother (the typist) and look at the video -- both on the sidebar at the right at the linked blog above.

Sophia is going to have a lot of competition. Many, many story lines here. For a bit more, see this post over at one of my other blogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment