Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Tech 101 -- September 15, 2020

 I am having a blast with Sophia and distance learning. Wow, I am blown away by the technology. 

Everyday we log into her account: WebEx, SeeSaw, Epic, and so on. I used to type in the URL each day -- it was cumbersome -- but I didn't know how to bookmark it on her iPad. Then Sophia taught me how to use the QR code. Wow, it's lightning fast. I bring up the QR code on my iPhone -- it was sent to me by her teacher, and then Sophia takes her iPad and takes a photo of it -- she doesn't even bother getting the full QR code in the frame -- "close enough" apparently works.

Due to a medical appointment she had, I went over to her house yesterday, walked in at 2:16 p.m. The "synchronous" time was scheduled for 2:15. I had my phone out, the QR code up, and Sophia took a photo of it, and she was "in class" at before 2:17. It was that fast. 

From wiki:

A QR code (abbreviated from Quick Response code) is a type of matrix barcode (or two-dimensional barcode) first designed in 1994 for the automotive industry in Japan. 
A barcode is a machine-readable optical label that contains information about the item to which it is attached. 
In practice, QR codes often contain data for a locator, identifier, or tracker that points to a website or application. 
A QR code uses four standardized encoding modes (numeric, alphanumeric, byte/binary, and kanji) to store data efficiently; extensions may also be used.
The Quick Response system became popular outside the automotive industry due to its fast readability and greater storage capacity compared to standard UPC barcodes. Applications include product tracking, item identification, time tracking, document management, and general marketing. 
A QR code consists of black squares arranged in a square grid on a white background, which can be read by an imaging device such as a camera, and processed using Reed–Solomon error correction until the image can be appropriately interpreted. The required data is then extracted from patterns that are present in both horizontal and vertical components of the image.

All that in a split-second. Or a split nano-second.

********************************
Shout Out To Alba Web Designs, LLC

Amazon is so incredibly dependable that, with rare exceptions, I no longer track deliveries. Knock on wood, but I have never "lost" an order. I recently ordered a small item from Alba Web Designs, LLC. The item had not arrived at its scheduled time, about two after submitting the order.

At three weeks, the item had still not arrived. I e-mailed the vendor, and surprise-surprise, "Brian" responded immediately. He said the item has been lost in transit, and asked if I wanted to "cancel," or "re-send." I said to simply re-send."

I couldn't believe it. The order showed up three days later after that chat to "re-send."

That was about a week ago.

Yesterday, I received a "duplicate" of the same order. So, obviously, the order I received a week ago was the original order, having been "lost in transit," now showed up.

And then the "replacement" item showed up yesterday. 

I'm impressed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment