Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Reason #23 -- Why I Like To Blog -- September 22, 2020

A reader said he/she was unable to access his/her brokerage account and asked if I was having the same issue. I guess the reader knew I was a) an Apple user; and, b) that I might use the same broker. LOL. No, not Robinhood. Whatever.

I asked the reader what browser he/she was using (I've found Safari gives me more problems than my preferred browser, Firefox). The reader replied: Safari. Yup.

It turns out I had no problem getting into my account using Firefox. 

I then tried Safari and had no problem getting into the on-line broker site. However, I never, never check this site any more except on rare occasions (this will be important later on).

I called the broker; I was curious. 

Meanwhile, the reader downloaded FireFox and got into his/her account with no difficulty. So, we now know where the problem exists: at the browser (Safari) - broker interface / handshake. They obviously are using fist bumps and not using handshakes. Must be a Covid-thing. LOL.

So, as I was saying. Out of curiosity I called the broker in question, just to a) see if other folks were calling in with same problem; and, b) let them know, just in case.

The IT folks were very helpful; rambling helps also:

  • the IT folks at this particular broker were unaware of any problems; they had minor glitches last week in some areas, but everything had been resolved;
  • more idle rambling and then voila -- the IT guy said the magic word: cookies.

I had forgotten all about that. A year ago, I suppose, I had a similar problem -- I can't remember what broker or what browser -- but I couldn't access my account either. I gave them a call, and the woman -- yes, now I remember the broker because I was impressed with the support I was provided -- came to the solution almost immediately: cookies.

From PCMagazine: how to control and delete cookies on your browser.

From above:

I then tried Safari and had no problem getting into the on-line broker site. However, I never, never check this site any more except on rare occasions (this will be important later on).

So, why is that important? Because every time you log in cookies are collected. At some point, the site you are attempting to visit has accumulated so many cookies, the site is inaccessible.  I have no idea, but that's my working thesis for now.

2 comments:

  1. all browsers of course are not created equally. Some still require antiquated IE-like "handshakes" or completely miss-render portions of a site and very frustrating especially when trying to check out like on United using a non IE browser. And what is a browser when today apps totally replace that notion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately I have 6-y/o Sophia to help me through this jungle. LOL. But seriously, these six-year-old kids are often way ahead of me.

      Delete