Saturday, September 12, 2020

Re-Posting Books To Ease Your Wanderlust -- September 12, 2020

See this note: the best "wanderlust" books

From that post:

This is so cool. From The WSJ: the best books to ease your wanderlust. I was mostly curious to see if any of "my" books were on that list, and some were, and some very surprising books made the list. I'm impressed.

"My" books that made the list, WSJ readers' favorite travel books, alphabetically by author:

  • James Boswell’s The Journal of a Tour to the Hebrides With Samuel Johnson -- highly recommended for oldest granddaughter;
  • William Least Heat-Moon’s Blue Highways
  • Jack Kerouac’s On the Road
  • Jon Krakauer’s Into the Wild
  • Robert Pirsig’s Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance -- my all-time favorite, have read it several times;
  • John D. Tumpane’s Scotch and Holy Water -- unbelievable to see this made the list; I bought several copies years ago, worried it may go out of print;
  • Rebecca West’s Black Lamb and Grey Falcon

A reader alerted me to Amazon and Scotch and Holy Water:

I'll take this opportunity to comment on Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Great title, but a bit misleading or maybe a lot misleading. I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would until my fourth or fifth reading (over many years) and by that time I was reading it very, very slowly to really enjoy the message and the writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment