Theme for the day: perhaps the second wave of Covid-19 was not the big worry. The big worry: the second wave of bankruptcies.
If this doesn't scare you, nothing will scare you: Joe Biden's tax plan.
I am going to clear out my in-box. Just the headlines, links now. I will come back to the stories later if the spirit moves me. The items below are just a handful of what I could have posted. So much is happening right now, it's hard to keep up.
- The number one international story right now is the existential crisis facing the House of Saud.
- The number one Covid-19 story right now: Sweden defeats the virus.
- The number one "business" story in the US, perhaps globally, right now, concerns EVs.
- The number two "business" story right now: anticipation of the September 15, 2020, Apple event.
- Best video today: Apple's Marina Bay Sands store in Singapore opens Thursday. Link here.
- women's semifinals tennis last night: incredible; some of the best sports I've seen in a long, long time; well at least since last week's FedEx PGA tournament; Serena Williams played her heart out; despite what announcers said, she did not have an injury; it's an old trick; will not advance
- NFL football opener: a real -- how should I say this? -- a real dud; embarrassing;
So, let's get started:
- BP moves into offshore wind for the first time with a new strategic partnership with Equinor. Link here. And, here, Barron's paywall.
- ExxonMobil may need $15 billion in debt to service the dividend. Link here.
- OXY warrants hit their all-time low this week: $2.33. Link here. Dropped over 10% yesterday.
- EIA raises 2020 oil price forecasts for Brent and WTI. Link here.
- one of the world's oldest LNG deals is unraveling. Link here.
- Century 21 files for bankruptcy. Never in a million years did I see this coming. Link here.
- A scary number of retail companies are facing bankruptcy. Link here.
- the mall meltdown is underway. Link here.
- Peloton making some very, very interesting moves right now. Link here. Something doesn't add up or Peloton is striking while the iron is hot, as they say.
- Warren Buffett makes rare move; invests in IPO; Snowflake. Link here. There's a bigger story here, a much bigger story here. This is incredible.
- fast food drive-thrus get a new shape up in coronavirus world. Google it.
- FWIW: atmospheric CO2 for August, 2020, posted September 9, 2020 comes in at 412.55. Link here. A year ago? See this link.
- A solar minimum is coming. No, it's not going to mess up the world, but if it does, Rachel will blame Trump. Link here.
A special section on EVs:
- short seller compares Nikola to Theranos; intricate fraud built on dozens of lies. Link here.
- a long-term Tesla bull -- and still a Tesla bull -- says the Tesla stock crash targets $75. Link here.
- Tesla plans to start shipping out cars made in Shanghai gigafactory. Link here.
- Tesla rises as UBS doubles price target ahead of "Battery Day." Link here.
- making money from regulatory credits. Link here. Previously posted.
- S&P passed on Tesla because it was profoundly overvalued," -- analyst. Link here.
A special section on Wuhan flu:
- dead virus cells frequently trigger "false positives" in most common Covid test. Link here.
- most promising Covid vaccine study put on hold, due to one adverse reaction. Previously posted.
- Sweden defeats the virus. Previously posted.most egregious story: that hit-piece on the Sturgis Rally; no facts to back it up; statistics prove different story; previously posted;
Okay, that's it. My fifteen minutes are up.
Photo of the day: someone climbed this tree on Interstate 90 in northern Idaho and posted this flag complete with a solar light.