Monday, May 4, 2020

Writer's Block -- Nothing About The Bakken -- May 4, 2020

Last week when I was driving her home from Tutor Time, Sophia talked to me about the story she was writing, and the difficulty she was having coming up with a story line. She was hoping I could help her out.

She explained that the story involved a princess, a prince, a frog, and a dragon. Where have I heard this before? LOL.

She said she had the "first line" but did not know where to go next. As noted, she was hoping I could help her.

So, on the car ride home, we discussed the story and I suggested ways she could write it out. It was a relatively long conversation. A lot of ideas were bounced around. She was not particularly happy with my suggestions. She told me my suggestions had already been done by someone else; she was looking for something new. LOL. Seriously.

Somehow over the busy weekend, that conversation was all forgotten.

Last night, going through her papers that she brought home from Tutor Time, I found the story that she had been working on. See below.

She, indeed, did have the first line, but as noted, it appears she quickly ran into "writer's block."

I will help her with her story later today. Here is how far she has gotten so far:


By the way, look how incredibly good her coloring skills are, especially with the dragon. The horns, eyes, and the "fire" are yet to be completed.

Addendum: aha! I've finally thought of something. We've all seen those photographs or paintings of individuals or families taken on the same date, year after year, for decades, to see the changes as people age.

I will suggest to Sophia that every year, on/around her birthday, she compose a line or two as the beginning of a story involving a princess, a prince, a dragon, and a frog.

Maybe it'll work; maybe it won't. We'll see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment