Sunday, April 19, 2020

Nothing About The Bakken -- Birds, Crawdads, TCM, And Ice Cream -- April 19, 2020

Crawdads: Earlier I mentioned that I almost panicked when I realized I almost missed crawdad season.
Earlier this afternoon I called one of the best seafood restaurants in our area, asked if they had any crawfish for sale. They said they were down to their last four pounds; I ordered two. When I went down to pick up the crayfish -- Sophia went with me -- the manager said they ended up selling out their crawfish for the day. Awesome? How awesome is that!
It was an incredibly beautiful day. A young couple was at the sidewalk table area enjoying their own seafood dinner. It was a most surreal scene -- something one might see in a Twilight Zone episode. The street completely empty of traffic, stores closed, and this one seafood restaurant open, and Sophia and I picking up mudbugs. I told Sophia that someday she might remember all this.
According to some internet source: 
The average person eats 3 lbs. of boiled crawfish, which equals approximately 6-8 oz. of meat.
Personally, I doubt there is that much meat in a pound of crawfish. I would estimate 2 to 4 ounces of meat in two pounds. And that might be generous. LOL. But what a great experience. A great experience but definitely not as tasty as lutefisk swimming in melted butter. With lefse. And Swedish meatballs.

Photos below were at our older daughter's home. I still live in a 900-square-foot walk-in closet with my lovely wife about one mile down the road. 




Birds: this was really quite amazing. While enjoying crawfish on the patio over at Sophia's house tonight, the birds showed up for their evening meal. Three bluejays, three cardinals, and one woodpecker showed up. They enjoyed their meal on the patio while we enjoyed ours.

Again, unfortunately, my pictures are not particularly good, but they record the moment.





Ice cream: And now, I'm going to have some Nancy Pelosi natural vanilla ice cream bathed in Hershey chocolate syrup.

TCM: And watch a bit of The Hustler: Paul Newman, Jackie Gleason, and George C. Scott. I had completely forgotten that Piper Laurie (in The Hustler) was also in the original Twin Peaks. Wow, what a wonderful time to have been alive.

Only thing missing, some music:

Blue Bayou, Linda Ronstadt

4 comments:

  1. I must be truly getting old, the grammar here confused me! Some folk actually think that is about the right distance for a spouse....

    "Photos below were at our older daughter's home. I still live in a 900-square-foot walk-in closet with my lovely wife about one mile down the road."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. My wife and I live in a 787-square foot apartment unit (I mistakenly rounded it off to 900 square feet). I often mention that on the blog.

      2. The photos were taken at our daughter's home about a mile down the road. I did not want folks to think that was our house, and that I had been misleading them all these years about the size of our little hovel, which is truly about the size of Algore's walk-in closet who keeps telling me I need to decrease my "footprint."

      Delete
  2. Well, I'm glad to know that is not your wife who is about a mile down the road! Keep the Faith~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remain incredibly upbeat. I think it will be quite fascinating how this plays out.

      Delete