Thursday, February 27, 2020

Notes From All Over, Part 1 -- February 27, 2020

First things first: I was surprised to know that it froze overnight here in north Texas. I've put out the birdseed. On days like this, I add bread to the birdseed. I put out "regular" birdseed for the songbirds and "more robust" birdseed for the larger birds (and the squirrels). Later: the first bird to arrive, a male bluejay. Immediately following, two cardinals, male / female pair. Then several dark-eyed juncos and other assorted sparrows. 

McDonald's: the "regulars" in McDonald's are complaining how cold it is in north Texas this week. Something tells me they are not concerned about "global warming."

Lamb: see photos here. Wow, it turned out well.
  • 24-hour marinade: rosemary, thyme, shallots, garlic, oil, balsamic vinegar, pepper (no salt)
  • very, very hot fire
    • on the grill: four minutes on one side; barely five minutes on the other side
    • directly on the coal (no grill): barely two minutes on each side
  • I may have to re-think the salt. From a "taste" point of view, salt is not necessary, but I understand salt does more than just flavor meat; we'll see
  • I used a bit more olive oil than usual because more lamb to marinade, but if I had to do it over again, I would use the same amount of olive oil as I've always used; too much oil makes the lamb too "liquidy" -- but wow, it's incredibly tender
  • err on the side of under-cooking; can always be cooked a bit more in the microwave (although that is anathema / sacrilegious in these here parts;
  • directly on the coal is so much better than on the grill; but directly on the coal -- barely two minutes each side;
  • do not use briquets if cooking directly on coal; research "cave-man" grilling before proceeding!
Later: a reader writes:
Kingsford briquets, very very very hot fire on Weber kettle.
Heavy salt on both sides of meat. Put salt on meat immediately before putting on grill.
Meat close to fire.
Fire will destroy salt flavor but help form a sealing crust on meat.
Turn meat as soon as crust is formed (before meat dissolves salt on top side.
Not true that you can only turn meat once on the grill. May have to try a few times to get the timing right.
I find this makes meat juicier and contributes to flavor in the meat without making it taste salty. Crust looks and tastes better.
In my opinion man has not invented a grilling machine equal to the Weber Grill when it comes to steak and chops. Steaks and chops are all about hot, hot, hot.
I replied: I knew there was something about salt -- just didn't know "what." And I agree 100% about the Weber grill. 

No comments:

Post a Comment