Sunday, December 15, 2019

Texas Chop House -- Very Little About The Bakken Except In Passing -- Grilling -- December 15, 2019

First things first: the Weber Vortex.

Texas steak: To the best of my knowledge I have never visited a "high-end" steak house. Last night, compliments of a reader, thank you very, very much -- I was treated to a 5-star evening at the Mercury Chop House in Arlington, TX, ninth floor overlooking the city and overlooking Dallas. A tremendous evening. I had the ribeye, something I don't recall having had in the past several decades. One needs to remember that I spent most of my life overseas where steak was seldom on the menu.

I had so much fun talking about the Bakken with my host (from 7:00 p.m. to 10:30 p.m.) that I had little time to fully appreciate the meal. With steak this good, I did not want to rush through it. I don't eat much at any one sitting to begin with, so, I had most of my ribeye to take home and enjoy while watching the Redskins - Eagles and sipping Japanese scotch. (My wife could not believe how good it was, and, said, yes, I could take here to the Mercury for our wedding anniversary. LOL.)


Later, Sophia comes over.

Some days it just seems life is too short.

The downside: I am now "hooked" on the Texas chop house. LOL.

My host last night: in another life he was a bartender extraordinaire. Now, a Bakken acolyte. We talked about family, life, and lots of Bakken. We didn't talk enough about our shared alma mater; next time, perhaps. The Bakken did not dominate the conversation. Scandinavian background; family; visits to Williston; and grilling. That's the reason for the "first things first, Weber Vortex" note above. We talked grilling about as much as anything else (except shale oil) but we didn't mention the Vortex. So, enough of that. A great evening.

By the way, speaking of bartending, my host corroborated all I understood about the martini, giving me two tips of which I was not aware. One of the two tips: the onion. The other tip: about the preparation of the martini with regard to vermouth. Very similar to what Churchill might have said. 

No comments:

Post a Comment