Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Notes From All Over, Part 1 -- December 17, 2019

First things first, my go-to sandwich meat (after bologna and liverwurst): why Spam is breaking records.

Better call your Congressional representative: the "stretch IRA" is about to go away or at least be severely modified.

Economic cycles: "everyone" says we are "due" for a recession because it's been so long since the last recession. That, of course, makes no sense at all. Like flipping pennies. If one gets tails ten times in a row, the odds are still 50-50 that the next toss will result in heads (or tails). "Past performance is no guarantee of future results." I suggest we erase the economic-cycle graphs for the last one hundred years, and simply start with a fresh, new graph as of December 18, 2019. Now, with nothing to look at prior to December 18, 2019, when is the next recession likely?

Automobile service centers: no matter what you go in for, the mechanics will find additional work that needs to be done. The other day I went in to have my battery replaced. This car is very, very well maintained; I take it in like clockwork every six months for an inspection and an oil change, whether it needs it or not. Every six months. Last time I went in, it was deemed AAA+++ in mint condition, nothing else needed. But less then 3,000 miles later when I went in simply for a battery replacement, it was noted I needed:
  • two new front tires
  • new spark plugs
  • fuel system cleaning
Technically the tires were good for another 6,000 miles, I suppose, but with winter sleet, ice, and possibility of snow, the better part of valor ....

Mr Lonely, Bobby Vinton

No comments:

Post a Comment