Friday, September 27, 2019

Urban Life -- 21st Century -- September 27, 2019

Wow, I'm in a great mood.

I should be in a terrible mood. I really screwed up some "numbers" today regarding the Bakken. I can't believe the mistakes I made. "Doozies," as they say, even for me.

But, the good news is that a reader (or readers caught the mistakes) called me out on them, even telling me Sophia could do a better job. LOL.

So, anyway, I posted the data without my arithmetic. Sorry about the mistakes but we move on.

****************************
Spectrum -- Cable Television

I've said before that I really, really appreciate "Spectrum," our cable television provider.

But it's getting more and more expensive.  I had a series of "less than productive" phone calls so I wrote Spectrum a letter. Out of literally millions of customers, they get a letter from me and today one of their folks called me. Great, great conversation. We'll follow up with Spectrum on October 6, 2019, but to say the least, three things:
  • very expensive
  • but one gets a lot for that monthly cost
  • and, when one finally gets someone knowledgeable on the phone, it works wonders
So, we'll see.

I'll let my wife make the decision. LOL.

******************************************
Sprint -- Cell Phone

After talking to Spectrum last week, talking to Sprint this morning, in-store, was like talking to ... well, I don't know to what to compare that ... all I can say is I had the most incredible, enlightening conversation I've ever had with Sprint. They never let me down.

So, tomorrow, a third line, a new phone, upgrade an old phone, and a whole bunch of other stuff, and the overall cost is ... yes, expensive, but well worth it.

I really, really don't want to part with my iPhone SE. It was the first iPhone I ever had and it's perfect for me. I love the size. But the lease is up next month: I can either pay it off (not much to pay off) and keep it, or upgrade to a new iPhone. Decisions, decisions.

I am thinking of keeping the iPhone SE. It's become "part of me." I can't imagine parting with it -- ever. Even when Apple quits supporting it, I could put it in a display case on a bookshelf.

And then it struck me. I could keep it. Add a fourth line at lowest possible voice/no text/no data plan and give it to Sophia.

She could figure it out. She would love it. It would be her own. So, we'll see.

***************************
But What A Great Day

It looks like we're going to have 100-degree sunny weather here in north Texas for another week or so. "Everyone" is complaining about the heat. Not me. I love it. Great bicycling weather at 5:00 a.m.

************************************
Alexa

And Alexa is still the greatest. Period. Dot. No pun intended.

4 comments:

  1. Bruce..... I forgive you you're my hero...... I thought that the criticism was kinda harsh thank you for your efforts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Several things:

      1. It depends on the mood I'm in when I get feedback how I respond to it. This morning I was in a great mood but I really screwed up; I was worried I lost my credibility -- dumb errors on my part. But I pressed on.

      2. With regard to the Bakken, if I make a mistake I want to be told as soon as possible so I can correct it. The other stuff, politics, etc., I pretty much ignore. But the Bakken is really important to get it right.

      3. I am inappropriately exuberant about the Bakken but that doesn't mean I want to make really dumb mistakes.

      Thank you for taking time to write. Much appreciated. And I'm sure I've yet to make more mistakes. I do have to get Sophia move involved. LOL.

      Delete
    2. Well.... being a mineral right owner and have family members in williston who have businesses there..... I'm quite interested in the area myself but if it wasn't for your blog I'd have no understandable information about it I thank you again bruce I haven't been there myself in 35 years

      Delete
    3. Thank you for your kind comments. I often worry if someone "new" comes to the site if they can figure out what's going on in the Bakken based on my posts. There is just so much information it's difficult to keep up and it's difficult to put it all in perspective.

      Delete