Monday, July 29, 2019

Idle Rambling Monday Morning Waiting For Markets To Open -- July 29, 2019

First things first: incredibly beautiful bike ride today. You know how that first sip of a really, really cold beer tastes on a hot day, or a that first whiff of bacon from your iPhone, well, that's how it feels when I jump on my old hybrid of a bike and coast downhill out of the apartment complex, just before dawn. It is so incredibly exhilarating.

This morning, I checked the time. I normally don't do that. I don't ride to make time, I ride because it's so enjoyable. In fact, about halfway to work, I noted that I was going too fast; I was getting a bit tired. I was anxious to get to Starbucks to start working. But then I remembered: I was biking because I enjoy it, not because I'm trying to get somewhere ... in fact, to be clear, I do not bike:
  • for the exercise (then it would become no fun; it would feel like work)
  • for the sole purpose of getting somewhere (if that was the case, I could drive) 
  • to wear the latest fashion (wow, I must look strange -- an old white guy in street clothes with a backpack and lots of red flashing lights)
I ride simply because of the endorphin rush it apparently gives me.

Actually I never get going that fast to get an endorphin rush.

I left at 6:23 a.m. It was still a bit dark -- not really dark -- no headlight needed, but I certainly felt more comfortable with several flashing red lights on my back. The few clouds that there were had that really, really nice pink "fingery" look -- the line we learned in eighth grade Latin -- Homer's "rosy-fingered dawn." For some reason, that phrase has always stuck with me.

Sunrise today:


I arrived at Starbucks on Tate at exactly 6:43. It took me a minute to get off the bike, turn off the lights, yada, yada, yada. The best part: my favorite spot/chair was empty. I was the only customer in the shop. It's starting to fill in now, but the big revenue stream -- and it is a stream -- is the drive through. In about thirty minutes the next revenue stream begins, the mobile ordering; folks order on the way to work, park, walk in, grab their coffee and walk out.

I love it when employees from other restaurants are standing in line for their coffee. There's one now; she has an apron on but I can't tell where she works.

I'm free until 10:30 at which time I will be an Uber driver for the three granddaughters. Three round trips today:
  • noonish
  • late afternoon
  • early evening
Anyway, enough of this.

The market is open.

No wells coming off confidential list today.

No comments:

Post a Comment