Tuesday, April 30, 2019

The Decline And Slow Death Of California -- Zero Hedge -- April 30, 2019

Re-posting. Link here.

Data points:
  • since 1985, California crude oil production has plunged 60 percent to 460,000 bopd
  • California's oil reserves have declined 25% to 2.2 billion bbls
  • compare North Dakota, four small western counties:
    • 1.2 million bopd
    • reserves: conservatively 7 billion bbls 
  • fracking: doubled US reserves to 45 billion bbls over the past ten years
  • California: second biggest crude oil consumer after Texas; each day --
  • 40 million gallons of gasoline
  • 8 million gallons of diesel
  • 20% of the country's jet fuel
  • dependent on Middle Eastern oil
  • strict environmental rules preclude using its own oil or Canadian oil
  • 37% of California oil comes from OPEC
  • some promising shale unlikely to be tapped in near future if ever
  • natural gas: most important source in energy mix in California
  • look at this: 95% of natural gas consumed in California is imported
  • unlikely any significant increase in local natural gas production
North Dakota vs California:



***********************
Kashoggi Suspect Found Dead In Cell

For those who missed it, reported by The WSJ

Hung, ruled a suicide.

2 comments:

  1. https://www.governing.com/topics/mgmt/gov-states-strongest-job-growth-in-2018.html

    Not the newest numbers, but 13 out of 50 isn't bad. Pretty consistently top in IPOs too. If measured by oil alone, they've all but killed that industry, but they're a tech powerhouse. I lived there for three years, plenty I'd like to see changed, but I don't get all the hate the state gets. On most positive metrics they're nowhere near the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a great state. I went to graduate school out there (four years, South Pasadena and west Los Angeles). I followed that with my first USAF assignment (three years, northern California, near San Francisco). I used to visit California often (no more) but my wife goes out there every couple of months. Until Texas (recently, now), the longest place I lived after I left home was California. I bought my first house there. Many loves and more friendships. Yes, fond memories.

      Delete