Disconnect: what network and local evening news report and what I see in my daily life.
Disconnect: what I see on social media and what I enjoy in my daily life.
Great to be back home after two weeks of traveling. Two different movies -- at one of several resorts where we stayed during the two-week vacation, I thought the service was lousy; my wife thought it was the best she had ever seen. I never told her my thoughts. It was simply two different movies we were watching. Same with everything else, it seems.
Hockey: if you like great human-interest stories and/or hockey, great article in The Grand Forks Herald. Sent to me by a reader.
Bowl games: I was traveling January 1, 2019, so I did not see any of the college bowl games but looking at the scores, it looks like I didn't miss anything. Exciting? Hardly, The semi-final championship series were blowouts. The other bowl games, pretty much unidentifiable teams. Gasparilla Bowl?
- Clemson, 30; Notre Dame, 3 -- national championship semi-final
- Alabama, 45; Oklahoma, 34 -- national championship semi-final
- Utah State, 52; North Texas, 13
- Appalachian State, 45; Middle Tennessee, 13
- UAB, 37; Northern Illinois, 13
- Ohio, 27; San Diego State, 0
- Gasparilla Bowl, 38 - 20
- Famous Idaho Potato Bowl, 49 - 18
- Armed Forces Bowl, 70 - 14 -- did anyone even stick around for the second half (second quarter?)
Regrets: the mot common word I saw used when folks connected with the Manhattan Project reminisced on that period --
- Einstein: "regretted" that he ever sent "that letter" to FDR; I guess he preferred that the Russians or the Germans would have won the war; naive
- many physicists: "regretted" that they were involved with the Manhattan Project
- Oppenheimer: did not "regret" what he accomplished what at Los Alamos; "regretted" the direction nuclear weaponry took after WWII