Thursday, January 31, 2019

Natural Gas Update -- January 31, 2019

Natural gas, from Platts:
US natural gas in storage decreased 173 Bcf to 2.197 Tcf in the week that ended January 25, the US Energy Information Administration reported Thursday.
The withdrawal was well below the expectations of an S&P Global Platts' survey of analysts, which called for a 197 Bcf pull. The draw was completely outside of the range of survey responses. The lowest response was for a 176 Bcf withdrawal.
The withdrawal was considerably above the 126 Bcf pull reported in the corresponding week in 2018 as well as the five-year average draw of 150 Bcf, according to EIA data.
As a result, stocks were 14 Bcf, or 0.6%, under the year-ago level of 2.211 Tcf and 328 Bcf, or 13%, below the five-year average of 2.525 Tcf.
Natural gas futures on the news: dropped 2 cents per million BTU. Why? Because the worst is over and the "grid" held.

****************************
The Word Page

First, answering the two questions posed earlier:
  • The definition of ophiologist? One who studies a branch of herpetology concerned with the study of snakes.
  • Extra credit if you know the only movie ever to have used that word. The Lady Eve (1941).
I vividly remember the day we learned about this subject in graduate school, but the professor used a different word, not ophiologist. 

Best quotes from the movie (link to follow):

********************
Charles : And I have no right to be in your cabin.
Jean : Why?
Charles : I'm married.
Jean : But so am I, darling. So am I.

********************
Charles : Do you think they're dancing anyplace on board?
Jean : Don't you think we ought to go to bed?
Charles : You're certainly a funny girl for anybody to meet who's just been up the Amazon for a year.
Jean : Good thing you weren't up there two years.

********************
Jean : What were you doing up the Amazon?
Charles : Looking for *******. I'm an ophiologist.
Jean : I thought you were in the beer business.
Charles : Beer? Ale!
Jean : What's the difference?
Charles : Between beer and ale?
Jean : Yes.
Charles : What I am trying to say is - only I'm not a poet, I'm an ophiologist - I've always loved you. I mean, I've never loved anyone but you. Charles : My father'd burst a blood vessel if he heard you say that. There's a big difference. Ale's sort of fermented on the top or something, and beer's fermented on the bottom, or maybe it's the other way around. There's no similarity at all. You see, the trouble with being descended from a brewer, no matter how long ago he brewed it, or whatever you call it, you're supposed to know all about something you don't give a hoot about.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Great, great guess. One of my favorite movies, of course. But the quotes above were from a different movie.

      Delete
  2. oops they were in Africa not the Amazon my bad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed that, also, but thought perhaps that one could assume the scene was anywhere in the world -- including the Congo or London -- and the duo were simply talking about where he HAD been for the past year.

      Delete