April 3, 2018: see this post for an update on this subject.
From a May 17, 2014, post, production per rig:
A huge thanks to a reader for a note that made me think of doing this.
So, in January, 2014, productivity per rig, based on the chart above:
- the Bakken: around 500 bbls/rig
- the Eagle Ford: about 475 bbls/rig
- the Niobrara: about 350 bbls/rig
- the Permian: not even 150 bbls/rig
- the Bakken: around 1,450 bbls/rig -- almost 3x greater than 4 years ago
- the Eagle Ford: about 1,400 bbls/rig -- ditto, and very close to the Bakken (on a "boe" basis, the Eagle Ford would probably beat the Bakken -- but it would be close and might vary month-to-month)
- the Niobrara: about 1,200 bbls/rig -- about 3.5x better than 4 years ago
- the Permian: about 600 bbls/rig -- 4x better than 4 years ago -- but the Bakken is about 2.5x better than the Permian