China trade war: when it gets right down to it, this is what the Chinese trade war is all about -- the Chinese are placing higher tariffs on food and manufactured goods, i.e, stuff they need and value-added products; on the other hand, the US is putting tariffs on plastic toys sold mostly at Christmas. One would have expected toy stores, Walmart, Target, etc, to be howling -- complaining that they can't get their Christmas stuff in time for the holiday seasons. But we haven't heard anything from Walmart, Target, etc., suggesting they are doing quite well, having found other markets (probably those in the US).
- WMT: up about 0.6% today;
- TGT: flat (down one cent on an $87 stock that used to go for well less than $60
- BBY: down 1.5% today but not far off it's 52-week high
- BABA: up about 0.4% today
- DE: well off it's 52-week high -- soybeans?
- all four major indices up today, some just barely
Disclaimer: this is not an investment site.