Thursday, September 13, 2018

Fugue State: Listening To Music After The Midnight Hour -- September 13 - 14, 2018

For several years -- or maybe it was only for several months -- I would often stay up well past midnight, put on the headphones, and surf YouTube. I could put myself into a fugue state moving from one video to the next. I chose the next music video -- it was not chosen by some YouTube algorithm -- but the deeper I got into the fugue state the farther I drifted from where I started.

Tonight, it started with Baillie and the Boys' A Fool Such As I which led to Don Gibson's Sea of Heartbreak. Everyone has covered A Fool Such As I but I think Baillie's is the best. Strangely, I could find no one who out-did Don Gibson's Sea of Heartbreak.

Until.

Sea of Heartbreak, Zombina and the Skeletones
From there, to:

It's Good To Be Alive, Imelda May
Then,
Tainted Love, Imelda May

I knew I had heard that song somewhere but a devil of a time remembering where, until it hit me. "The history teacher!"

Tainted Love, The History Teacher

I had never heard Tainted Love except by "the history teacher." I never thought of looking up the original. But now having seen/heard Imelda May, I had to see the "original" Tainted Love.

Tainted Love, Soft Cell

Johnny's Got a Boom Boom, Imelda May.

Fuzzy n' Wild, The Vice Barons, needs to be played really loud.

Back to Zombina and the Skeletones, Vincent Price.

And, then, to this ... finish with a squeeze box -- hey, I'm in Texas.... although this is really from South Texas and I'm well into North Texas.

All You Ever Do Is Bring Me Down, The Mavericks

I'll be up for awhile getting deeper and deeper into this fugue state. No more posting but if you want to  join me meet me in Morocco ...

Only Lovers Left Alive, Official Movie Trailer

No comments:

Post a Comment