Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Taxes And Royalty Income -- North Dakota -- August 28, 2018

I was waiting to post this at a more appropriate time, but I don't want to forget to post this, so I'm doing it now.

A huge "thank you" to the reader who sent me this some months ago. Hopefully, I will remember to re-post this next year during tax season:
One thing that you may have mentioned and that does strike me is that oil companies are now collecting the ND state tax, deducting it from the royalty checks, and have been doing this for several  years. 
And this is at the highest possible marginal rate.  
This has to be a windfall for ND as many  people receive a substantial refund if they file, so those people that live out of state and don’t file are paying much more in taxes on their royalties  (in many cases) then they actually owe
Five years ago ND was collecting nothing from the non-residents not filing so one would think this would be a windfall – an overly high tax rate and the fact taxes are now actually being collected.

2 comments:

  1. North Dakota requires a form 38 K-1 from those with royalty income from a trust. It is my nightmare that for the small amount of income I get from royalties I can't do any of my taxes if I don't get the information I need from the trustee of the trust. At this point I might prefer to not have any royalty income. Overkill by North Dakota.

    ReplyDelete