Sunday, August 5, 2018

Off The Net -- Biking Home -- Then NASCAR

NASCAR Finish was fantastic! Chase Eliott wins on his own, as #2 Truex runs out of gas with finish line in sight. Chase Elliott ran out of gas just after crossing the finish line. Jimmy Johnson, #48, pushed Chase Elliott back to victory lane. Wow.

Updates

Later, 3:01 p.m. CDT: This may be the most fascinating non-energy western North Dakota story so far this year. Over at The Bismarck Tribune.
The Bureau of Land Management is seeking public input on what action to take after a Dunn County rancher built a bridge across the Little Missouri River that the agency says trespasses on public land.
The east end of the single-lane bridge northwest of Killdeer is on land owned by rancher Wylie Bice. But the west end of the bridge is on an isolated 76-acre tract of land managed by the BLM.
In addition, the BLM says an unpaved access road, a water settling pond and portions of two alfalfa fields are on public lands without permission. In all, nearly 13 acres of public land are affected.
One has to read deep into the article learn that this bridge was built in 2013, sustained some damage in 2014 due to flooding/high waters, but was repaired and raise. 
All the rancher's own expense.

Original Post 

93 degrees now; forecast to hit 99 degrees.

I forgot my safari hat -- it's going to be a hot bike ride home.

Something to get me ready for the bike ride:

Yes, Sir, I Can Boogie, Baccara

Wow, there's a lot of good stuff on the blog today. Enjoy.

Good luck to all.

Oh, one last look, what's going on at oilprice and Yahoo!Finance?

 

**********************************************
The Sports Page

I have no idea how well Tiger Woods is playing relative to his history.

I do know that the PGA and the networks hope that Tiger Woods continues to play well enough to keep making the cuts.

Today, Tiger finished tied for 33rd at the Bridgestone.  #40 out of the 71 that made the cut. Mickelson, 26. #30 out of the 71that made the cut. But look at this: Jordan Spieth, 60th. #62 out of 72 that made the cut. Only ten of those who made the cut played worse than Spieth.

Justin Thomas, Dustin Johnson, and Rory McIlroy are tied for #1. Ricky Fowler, tied for #8.

Four round in today's PGA tournament, Tiger Woods scorecard:


********************************
NASCAR

First stage: first stage just completed. Joey Logano, who finished at the same race track yesterday, crashed and DNF'd -- only the second time he has finished dead last while racing for NASCAR.

Later: I am really, really thrilled for Chase Elliott. Good for him.

********************************
MLB

If I had all the money in the world, I would be at Fenway Park tonight watching the New York Yankess playing the Boston Red Sox. But I don't and I'm not. 


3 comments:

  1. Safari hat???? What happened to your helmet? Bike group in Portland mandates "Bring a lunch, water, and all needed gear. Helmets and rear-view mirrors are required. All riders must be able to change a flat tire--carry the needed tools and spare tube."
    Speaking of flat tires.... several years ago, our brother-in-law's granddaughter was trying to pass her driver's license test in Montana. Turns out one of the requirements for a license was to demonstrate the ability to change a flat tire on a car. Excellent requirement in that part of the country, and useful in a lot of places. Self reliance is difficult to teach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I last wore a bike helmet when it was required by the USAF and I was assigned to Langley AFB back in the late 90's. It was a great bike helmet. I found it in Germany -- a one-off -- army-forest camouflage. It was awesome. I put Velcro on the front of it and attached my insignia to the Velcro when I was on-base and took it off when I rode off-base.

      I assume I will pay the price some day for not wearing a bike helmet.

      Regarding cars and tires. My son-in-law has taught our oldest granddaughter to do quite a few things regarding automobile maintenance. She can claim that she knows how to to change/replace an entire radiator. She does not yet know how to change a tire, but I plan on helping her with that.

      Delete
    2. Our oldest granddaughter is at a two-week Spanish camp in northern Minnesota for the next two weeks, so "tire-changing instruction" will have to wait.

      Delete