Thursday, July 12, 2018

Tesla Hits 200,000 Threshold -- July 12, 2018

From SeekingAlpha:
  • Tesla has crossed over 200K electric vehicle sales in the U.S. this month
  • new Tesla buyers after December 31 will see a 50% reduction in the federal tax credit available to $3,750 for another six months before another 50% reduction takes effect
  • at least 14 different states also offer EV tax incentives, with varying levels of rebates, perks, credits or exemptions
  • the EV automaker beat GM and Nissan to the 200K mark, although those automakers will also soon hit the threshold
  • while there's been plenty of debate about what the potential impact on EV demand will be as the tax incentives head lower - the implications are difficult to forecast with the Trump Administration waiting in the wings to potentially issue new EV rules.
See poll at sidebar at the right.

By the way, this is likely why there was a "discrepancy" in Tesla's most recent "delivery" announcement.

Someone noted that:
  • Tesla has 400,000+ reservations
  • Tesla had upwards of 20,000 automobiles ready for delivery
  • Tesla delivered around 10,000 automobiles in the most recent reporting period (month? quarter? I forget) 
  • folks wondered why those 10,000 automobiles weren't delivered, or if Tesla was "fudging" some numbers?
  • the explanation: by holding those 10,000 vehicles for delivery after July 1, 2018, that put the 200K threshold reached (poor grammar but you know what I'm saying), and thus extending the full rebate for one more quarter, before the phase out begins
My comments:
  • just one explanation; the facts may be wrong; the explanation may be bogus
  • but it's good cocktail chatter
  • if I see you at a cocktail party and you bring this up, I will buy you your next non-alcoholic drink
But this is the important point: by going over the 200K threshold on July 1, 2018, Tesla customers get the full credit for this quarter (the entire quarter) plus the following quarter, and that's why it takes "us" to December 31 before the phase out begins. Some will incorrectly state that for Tesla the phase-out has begun. No, the phaseout does not begin until January 1, 2019. And by then, a lot could change.

*********************************
Texas Friendly -- Paying It Forward

Every night, starting about 9:00 p.m. and lasting until 5:00 a.m. major road construction is the norm on the north side of DFW airport where Texas highways 26, 114, 121, and 360 converge (and now the Texas light rail under construction). In some spots, the four lanes (with off-ramps and on-ramps, up to six lanes) narrow to one lane. The traffic backs up for a mile or two but steadily moves forward. It keeps moving forward because folks in the long line generally make room for new cars merging from closing lanes. I am impressed with how helpful most folks are.

About two weeks ago while blogging/reading in Starbucks, a 20-something African-American sat across from me, not ordering anything to drink, but constantly looking at his mobile phone and generally looking a bit unhappy. After about ten minutes, I offered my Starbucks card to him and asked him if he wanted anything to eat or drink. Wow, did he break out into a big smile. "No, " he said, "I'm just waiting for a friend. And, actually I don't like coffee anyway." About five minutes later his friend arrived and he seemed very happy.

Two nights ago while blogging at McDonald's a 20-something white male sat at the table next to me -- it was the only place the restaurant had an outlet. He was charging his mobile phone which had just died. He was on his way from Dallas back to Arkansas and without "maps" on his mobile phone he had no idea where he was. He was not even aware he had just exited I-35W, the main thoroughfare out of Ft Worth. He also did not order anything, just checked his messages, etc. After a bit, I asked him if he had any money for something to eat; he said he did, and shortly after that, he went to get something to eat. We didn't talk much but it was clear he was happy about "Texas friendly."

A week ago, May and I went to dinner with our son-in-law, daughter, and the granddaughters. We split the cost of the meal, but in addition, we covered the tip. Our son-in-law suggested that the tip we left was more than twice what was necessary. I told him that May's mom was a waitress -- she worked in Japanese restaurants in Los Angeles until she could work no longer. That was the end of the discussion about tipping.

Decades ago, in a different life, in a land far, far away, I hitchhiked from Los Angeles to Sioux Falls, SD. I had $4.00 in my pocket when I set out form LA. Probably four dollars and some additional change. A driver picked me up on the outskirts of Los Angeles and we drove to Las Vegas (long story, short) where he bought me dinner. I still had my $4.00. A hunting party picked me up on the north side of Las Vegas and drove me to St George, Utah. They stopped for breakfast and bought my breakfast, telling me that I could leave the tip. They left the table to pay the bill for four of us. I have long forgotten how much I left but I bet I had less than a dollar for the rest of the trip back to Sioux Falls.

No comments:

Post a Comment