Friday, January 19, 2018

Wow! Was I Wrong? I Sure Was -- January 19, 2019 -- Well, Maybe Not

I would have bet my entire holdings in **** that the government would shutdown over the weekend. Boy, was I wrong.

I was so sure of that I had no plans to watch CNBC all day (I have not yet turned on the television set and now that I am over at Sophia's house getting ready to take granddaughters to school, I won't; they are cord cutters and don't have network television).

But driving over, on the local radio station I hear a temporary budget bill was passed. It will expire in four weeks.

My only comment: Chuck Schumer is no Harry Reid. Reid would have shut down the government.

That makes the poll at the sidebar at the right regarding a possible shutdown moot, so it will be removed, and votes won't be recorded here.

So, "up, on to infinity and beyond."

A minute later: now I'm checking the internet. I don't see any headline anywhere that says the Senate passed the bill. I'm wondering if local talk radio got this one wrong. They said "Congress passed the bill to avert the shutdown" but the headlines have not changed overnight. I think local talk radio got it wrong. But right now, we are still where we were when I went to bed last night. Interesting. And, if the government does shut down, I will have to put the poll back up. LOL.

By the way, Dow futures are up slightly. "Everyone" says that if the government does shutdown, it will not affect the market. I disagree. The market is driven by fear and greed. And a government shutdown leads to uncertainty which leads to fear.

But Dow futures are slightly positive suggesting:
  • a) the market doesn't care;
  • b) the market heard the same story on the radio I did. LOL. 
For the record, I disagree. I do think the talk of a government shutdown will "bother" the market. Again, those not paying attention will fail to take advantage of the buying opportunity.

Disclaimer: this is not an investment site. Do not make any investment, financial, travel, job, or relationship decisions based on what you read here or think you may have read here.
****************************
Military Pay And Benefits

Full list of how military pay and benefits would be affected with a government shutdown at this link.

Troop Pay 
  • active duty troops, as well as Guard and Reserve members, would not get paid during a shutdown unless Congress passes a separate piece of legislation to do so [let's see if Schumer/Pelosi have the backbone to protect Dreamers but not pay the troops]
  • that means if a shutdown starts January 19 and stretches into the next several weeks, troops' February 1 pay will be delayed [the wording is unclear; exactly what is meant by "several"?
Retiree Pay and SBP Payments
  • military retirees would still receive their regular pension checks in the event of a shutdown, as would those receiving a Survivor's Benefit Plan (SBP) payment [just like social security]
  • that's because those funds are paid from a different account that is not impacted by the annual funding bill Congress has yet to pass
Troops Killed in Action
  • newly bereaved family members would not receive the Pentagon's $100,000 death gratuity during a shutdown or military-funded travel to Dover Air Force Base, Delaware, or elsewhere for the dignified transfer or military funeral or memorial [wow, what a travesty]
  • Servicemembers Group Life Insurance (SGLI) payments, however, would not be affected

No comments:

Post a Comment