Monday, November 27, 2017

Time For A Break -- November 27, 2017

Bring on global warming! I cannot believe how nice the weather has been for the past several days here in north Texas. Today, it started out at 66 degrees, it's now 73 degrees, and will reach a high of 77 degrees. Not a cloud in the sky and no wind. Absolutely perfect for biking.

Yesterday afternoon my wife wanted sushi. The only place we generally go for sushi any more these days is Kula / Kurasushi, a revolving sushi bar in Plano, about twenty minutes from where we live. I always have sake when I have sushi there (when we used to go to Kabeya in Southlake I always had a martini). They only have four brands to choose from; I know nothing about sake and have no plans at the moment to learn, though that may change.

I always get the smallest bottle possible, a 180-ml bottle of hakutsura, out of the refrigerator, no ice. The very, very small bottle ($6.95) would be enough for the two of us but my wife does not drink any alcohol -- makes her too sleepy. To be a sport, she will taste a thimble-full, as they say.

Yesterday I was looking at the label (again) and noted for the first time a sake meter value. I had never noticed that before. The hakutsura I get has a sake value of +4. It's interesting that the "wine world" hasn't come up with a similar grading system. It would be a huge help. (I don't have a dog in that fight; I quit drinking wine ages ago. There was no rhyme or reason to the price and the quality.)

I can't imaging having any sake with a meter value less than +4 with sushi. Sweet sake needs to be a dessert drink, I would think.


I won't drink sake at home, and except with sushi, I wouldn't drink it elsewhere.

By the way, at Kula's they also have excellent ramen. New to the menu is tantanramen (various spellings):
Tan Tan Ramen or Dan Dan Noodle are Sichuan noodle dish traditionally with miso pork mince, a sesame and spicy chilli soup broth. The sesame and chilli combine to make a really delicious ramen broth with a spicy kick to it! 
I wanted to try a broth with chili in it and it was perfect. My hunch is it will go over well here in Texas. Apparently the noodles are just as important as the broth, but I did not notice; it was all about the broth and it was spicy.

I've pretty much quit my study of martinis (quit drinking martinis about a year ago); and have pretty much quit drinking whiskey (in the last month or so); and, if I drink anything now, it's my old standby, rum and Coke.

I have finally decided, after 40 years, I suppose, that the only beer I care for are IPAs. I would have an occasional Bitburger Pils if I could find the bottles in this area, I suppose, but seldom seen. I think I can count the number of beers I have had in the past year on two hands and two toes.

Tequila? Never. I "figured out" Tequila last year and have no taste for it (and way too expensive for brand names). Perhaps again next summer in the very, very hot weather while biking, I will stop at the restaurant (Cotton Patch Cafe) at the north end of Main Street, Grapevine, that practically gives margueritas away to draw customers to the bar. Best deal on Main Street. But only one if biking. And only one, regardless (LOL).

*************************************************

I couldn't remember the name of the restaurant at the north end of Main Street so I had to look it up (I was pretty certain which one it was but wanted to make sure). I had to narrow my search for restaurants to "American/variety" and to "downtown" Grapevine, and there were still 212 restaurants to go through -- fortunately alphabetical so it did not take too long to find it.

But historical Grapevine is all of four city blocks on either side of Main street  -- actually shorter than downtown Main Street in Williston, ND -- and 212 restaurants in that area serving "American/variety." I assume some Mexican and some Italian restaurants were in the mix.

Speaking of which, this area is a lot more Italian than one would think. A lot of Italian restaurants and even an Italian car show once a year featuring Italian race cars. The #1 (?) Italian restaurant on Main Street has recently expanded.

Sophia enjoyed chocolate gelato ice cream on Main Street over the weekend, $4.00 for the small cup and it was the perfect amount and a very, very fair price.

No comments:

Post a Comment