Monday, November 27, 2017

The Market And Energy Page, T+310 -- November 27, 2017

Updates

Later, 3:01 p.m. Central Time: wow, was I wrong! CNBC says the Keystone pipeline will open -- date not given -- but it must be soon -- WTI down 1% or thereabouts. 

Original Post

Disclaimer: this is not an investment site. Do not make any investment, financial, job, travel, or relationship decisions based on anything you read here or think you  may have read here.

Markets: all three major indices -- the Dow, Nasdaq, and the S&P 500 all hit record highs at the open today. This would be the 55th record close for the S&P 500 if the number holds throughout the day. One wonders how Paul Krugman, Andrew Ross Sorkin, and Mark Cuban are all doing. Not.

Synchronized: the WSJ suggests the market is due to global synchronization --
Stocks Around the Globe Stage Most Widely Shared Rally in Years Investors say stock rally is a culmination of improving corporate earnings, strengthening economies and supportive monetary policies. [A "word search" revealed that "Trump" was not mentioned in the article: note the first year of the Bush administration, the first year of the Obama administration; and, the first year of the Trump administration. 

Bezos: no one has reached $1 trillion so quickly, according to CNBC.

Crestwood Equity Partners in the news today; the company is in the Bakken, see first link (the Motley Fool link below):
One of those developments is the first phase of the Bear Den processing plant in the Bakken, which it expected to start up shortly after the third quarter ended. That facility will separate raw natural gas into higher-valued natural gas liquids for producers in the area, earning Crestwood a fee as it processes those volumes. Meanwhile, the company expects to bring the second phase of that project online by the end of next year, while finishing a similar plant in the Delaware Basin by the third quarter of 2018.
AMLP: an MLP ETF. Holdings.

RDS-A: Zacks is reporting that RDS-A may begin paying its full-cash dividend (instead of scrip dividends). RDS-A and RDS-B both pay the same, nearly 6%. The last time RDS raised its dividend (from 90 cents to 94 cents per quarter) was back in May, 2014.

Beach vacation: the Brits have released their list of the world's top 25 beaches. There are no beaches in California listed, but Oregon has one beach on the list. Cancun was not mentioned on the list, nor was Riviera Maya, although it may be included or near one of the other beaches mentioned. I don't know the geography of Mexican beaches.

Net neutrality. No links but my thoughts --
  • the new rules will have a much bigger effect than folks realize
  • at first, the consumer will appear to get the short end of the straw ("will get screwed" in the jargon of the day)
  • entities like the NFL and MLB might do very, very well 
  • it will have no effect on C-SPAN; it could be detrimental to PBS but I doubt it
  • over time, the rules will vastly improve the internet experience
  • whether or not the average consumer will benefit is hard to predict

No comments:

Post a Comment