Friday, November 3, 2017

The Market And Energy Page, T+286 -- November 3, 2017

The Markets

The three major indices all set new record highs today. Whoo-hoo.

WTI

Two bits, four bits, six bits, a dollar; all for WTI, stand up and holler! WTI closes up over 1%, now about $55.69.

Apple
Updates

November 4, 2017: first impressions of the Apple iPhone X -- very, very impressive. In addition to that linked review, that was the unanimous report from the field yesterday on television -- everyone interviewed who had bought the iPhone X were blown away how good it was -- especially the screen. The quality of the screen kept coming up as the best feature.

Original Post

Yesterday it seemed to me that CNBC was caught off-guard when Apple, Inc, earnings were announced. This morning: completely different. At the 11:00 a.m. Central Time hour, it's practically a love fest. The "#1 analyst" for Apple raised price target to $195.

Disclaimer: do not make any investment, financial, travel, job, or relationship decisions based on what you read here or what you thought you may have read here. Any non-Apple stuff posted on the blog is to help me put the Bakken in perspective and to give me a bit of relief from the oil and gas posts.

Lines to buy the iPhone X: no photos, unfortunately, but there was a very long long stretching around the block in front of the Apple Store in Southlake, TX, today. That was about 10:00 a.m. When we drove by again at 2:00 p.m. the line had gotten longer. Two law enforcement squad cars were parked in front, along with at least two uniformed police officers. From WSJ, Apple store lines return.

Others

Pandora: shares plunging. One word: Apple. 

EVs

The full EV October sales scorecard is now complete.

What caught my eye (some of this has previously been discussed):
  • total sales: October sales are generally less than September sales, but compared to the previous year, look how far sales dropped month-over-month (October-over-September)
  • Tesla: sales of Models S and X fell off a cliff
  • Tesla: deliveries of Model 3 even worse than imagined
  • Chevy Bolt outsold all of Tesla (previously discussed -- this is a huge story)
  • holding steady: Toyota Prius; Nissan LEAF; Ford models; BMW; Chrysler Pacifica;
  • moving up: BMW (in general)
  • slipping: Volvo; Porsche; Mercedes (perhaps the steepest drop outside of Tesla)
  • museum pieces: Porsche Panamera 5-E

No comments:

Post a Comment