July 1, 2017: except for the carrier and the local community, this has quickly morphed into a non-story. Maybe as much as 45,000 gallons leaked from two cars, possibly a third; most of the crude oil ran into trenches being dug for a natural gas pipeline. No oil got into any river and authorities said, again, there was no risk to anyone. The clean-up will take a few days.
Original PostFrom CBS Local, so far:
- no injuries
- derailed on 143rd Street east of Van Dyke Road just after 6:30 p.m. Friday
- 40,000 gallons (again, so far)
- Canadian National Railroad
- 25 cars derailed
- oil leaking from three cars
- oil has not reached the DuPage River
- strong oil smell; "almost sickening"
- Plainfield, IL: about 40 miles southwest of downtown Chicago
- Plainfield, IL: about 50 miles northwest of Kankakee, Illinois
No one says "Kankakee" better than Arlo Guthrie.
Wow, I love this country.