My two favorite words are "surprise" and "beat" when seen in a headline for an energy earnings story.
Especially when the two words are next to each other.
Example. From Zacks, May 3, 2017: Enterprise Product Partners (EPD) Q1 Earnings & Revenue Beat.
My bad. No "surprise" in that headline.
I guess it was subconscious. My subconscious mind read the headline as a "surprise beat." LOL.
Data points from the linked article:
- EPS: 36 cents vs forecast 32 cents (surprise percent: 12.5%)
- revenue: $7.32 billion vs forecast $6.713 billion (huge)
- bottom line: also improved from same quarter one year ago
- revenues increased to $7.32 billion from $5.00 billion (46% increase) from year-ago quarter
- quarterly distribution: increased 5.1% y-o-y to 41.5 cents
- adjusted cash flow: $1.1 billion
- adjusted cash flow coverage: 1.3x
- partnership retained $238 for CAPEX, reducing debt, yada, yada, yada