Schumer economy. First time unemployment claims jump way more than expected.
- forecast: a small tick up to 245,000 from a revised reading of 243,000
- actual: an unexpected jump -- first time claims jumped 14,000 to 257,000
- four-week average: dropped 500 to 242,250
- it will be interesting to hear the analysis of this surprise surge; most likely:
- how did market react: futures steady, still showing the Dow 30 up 31 points
As noted, we went into downtown Portland one day. Had we been in Boston, we would have been downtown every day.
Go, Senate, Go: with just a day or so until President Trump's 100th day in office, the US senate confirmed his last cabinet nomination, the new Secretary of Labor.