Monday, April 10, 2017

The Literature Page -- Nothing About The Bakken -- What Comes Around, Goes Around -- April 10, 2017

This is pretty amazing. It appears I have mentioned Ayn Rand in no less than twenty or so posts, and in some posts, she was the reason for a significant part of the post. Do a word search, "Ayn Rand," on the blog and you will see what I mean.

Now, of all things, Drudge links Ayn Rand to The Guardian: the new age of Ayn Rand -- how she won over Trump and Silicon Valley. Her novel is one of the few works of fiction that Donald Trump likes and she has long been the darling of the US right. But only now do her devotees hold sway around the world.

The link to the article is here.

Some years ago I finally decided to read one of her books. I chose Atlas Shrugged. I got about halfway through before I finally quit. I thought it had become quite tedious. She had made her conservative point in the first 100 pages and I didn't think I needed another 300 pages to see if I missed anything.

******************************* 
The Celts

I flew into Portland, Oregon, Monday, April 18, 2107, to spend a week visiting our daughter/son-in-law; my sister/her family; and my mother.

First full day in town my daughter took me to Powell's bookstore, the first store we visited. Following Powell's my daughter took me on a chocolate candy "tour" of downtown Portland. Her favorite: Verdan, imported Lebanese chocolate.

I'm still in my "Celts phase." I found an incredibly great book on the Celts:
The Celts; edited by Venceslas Kruta et al; Rizzoli publishers; translated from the Italian; c. 1997 (first copyright, 1991); Powell's bookstore, Portland, April 18, 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment