Friday, March 10, 2017

The Political Page, T+49, Part 2 -- March 10, 2017

Somehow this can only be seen as positive news. From The Washington Post: EPA environmental justice leader resigns, amid White House plans to dismantle program.
Mustafa Ali, a senior adviser and assistant associate administrator for environmental justice, has served more than two decades at the agency, working to ease the burden of air and water pollution in hundreds of poor, minority communities nationwide. He helped found the EPA’s environmental justice office during the early 1990s and became a key adviser to agency administrators under Republican and Democratic presidents.
.... "working to ease the burden of air and water pollution in hundreds of poor, minority communities nationwide...." --- where was he when Flint, MI, made the decision to convert to lead-contaminated water, a fairly basic commodity in the US?  [Later, that didn't take long. A quick google search answered that question. He should have been fired a long time ago.]

Two decades. These guys are called "lifers" in the military. Time to go. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. I was a lifer. I don't recall if the door hit me on the way out. I loved the service. Best "professional/job" decision I ever made. I would  have stayed longer had there not been a mandatory retirement age. I probably left at an age when I was doing my best work. My hunch is that Mustafa was at the top of his game, also. I was working for half-pay by that time. When I left, the USAF hired a contractor to do what I was doing and paid that contractor 1.5x what I was getting paid. Funny how governments work. 

The good news: it sounds like "they" don't plan to replace Mustafa with a contractor.

No comments:

Post a Comment