Last night (sweet sixteen): some close games but this was the stunner: Xavier (seeded 11th) took down Arizona (seeded 2nd), 73 - 71. At one point, late in the second, I think Arizona had a 7-point lead. One wonders whether a 3-point attempt at the end for the win was a better shot selection than a 2-point for the tie.
The other surprise, I suppose, to some extent, was how easily South Carolina beat Baylor.
Tonight (sweet sixteen):
- North Carolina: easy win over Butler.
- South Carolina (#7): easy win over Baylor (#3).
- Now, a #3 (UCLA) vs a #2 (Kentucky).
- And, Wisconsin, #8, vs Florida, #4 -- but of course, the story here was Wisconsin beating the overall #1 Villanova to advance to the Sweet 16. Wow, that was an incredible game.
- Xavier (11) vs Gonzaga (1) [Later: Gonzaga rolls over Xavier; embarrassing.]
- Kansas (1) vs Oregon (3) [Later: one more reason it's called March Madness. Incredible.]
- S Carolina (7) vs FL (4)
- N Carolina (1) vs KY (2)
- South Carolina (7) vs Gonzaga (1)
- Oregon (3) vs UNC (1)