Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Way Behind -- November 15, 2016

To say the least, I am overwhelmed. It will take me some time to get caught up. Some thoughts about the blog:
  • it remains a "Bakken" blog but there are fewer stories for me to post on the Bakken for two reasons
    • the Bakken is a bit quieter right now than during the boom
    • the purpose for the Bakken blog was to help me understand the Bakken better; that goal has been achieved to a large extent
  • remember, the "Bakken" is three things to me
    • the geological footprint
    • the public-private partnership developed in North Dakota that was vital for the boom to succeed
    • the metonym: the "Bakken" is a metonym for the US onshore fracking industry, as mostly related to crude oil; I'm not sure if there is a different metonym for the US onshore fracking industry mostly related to natural gas
  • I generally don't post updates on DAPL; for now, it's dead
  • I love to "connect dots"
  • music often keeps me going
  • there will be fewer and fewer items related to the Obama administration; I've already removed the countdown; removed other links from the sidebar; the Obama story is now shifting to the Trump story
  • there will be fewer and fewer items related to global warming / climate change
  • items on the Mideast? I don't know
  • short term: the shift to a Trump presidency
  • little interest in political infighting
  • little interest in healthcare
  • little interest in trade war stories
  • very interested in immigration stories, but won't post much on them
  • still interested in "tectonic changes" in practical (not theoretical) technology 
  • may return to my roots with more stories on North Dakota pride 
  • I'm really excited to see what the "Fargo guy" and the ex-Watford City mayor have in store for North Dakota as governor-elect and lt-gov-elect
  • perhaps more on books I am reading, again to help me put the Trump revolution in perspective
************************
Immediately In Front Of Me

I will take a break from blogging to peruse the following for a few hours.
  • The November 14, 2016 issue of The New Yorker -- the first since the election; the front cover is priceless. I can't wait to read "The Talk Of The Town"
  • The Witches: Salem, 1692, Stacy Schiff, c. 2015, DDS: 974.4SCh
  • The Hero of the Empire: The Boer War, a Daring Escape, and the Making of Winston Churchill, Candice Millard, c. 2016; DDS: 968MIL
  • The Terror Dream: Fear and Fantasy in Post-9/11 America, Susan Faludi, c. 2007, DDS: 306.2FAL
I started reading The Witches at the library in September, 2016. Sometime in October it was no longer on the shelves at either of the two libraries where I read. But now that Halloween has passed, I see that Witches is back on the shelves in one of the libraries.

Faludi's book has a section on the Salem witch trials; that's the reason for that book. Along that line I want to read Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States but it's not at this library; it will be at the other library.

The Roanoke book I was reading has been checked out I will replace it with the Winston Churchill book until the Roanoke book shows up again.

So, The New Yorker:
  • so-so issue
  • no Trump cartoons
  • Jeffrey Toobin in "Talk of the Town" still does not "get it" and that's why I will now love The New Yorker and may even re-subscribe; I cancelled my subscription earlier this year due to it becoming nothing more than a mouthpiece for Hillary
  • the cartoons were okay, but not up to The New Yorker standard
  • perhaps the best snippet (The New Yorker used to do a lot of these fillers; now they are as rare as hen's teeth):
"Walmart has recalled a donkey meat product from some Chinese stores after tests found it had traces of fox meat, the retailer said Thursday."

No comments:

Post a Comment