Thursday, November 24, 2016

It Could Be Worse -- November 24, 2016

For a number of reasons I generally won't post updates regarding the DAPL. My understanding is that folks oppose the DAPL routing for two reasons:
  • environmental
  • religious 
It could be worse. In Iceland, roads and pipelines and other projects cannot move forward until:
I cannot make this stuff  up.

Until the state of North Dakota does an "elf study" the whole protest to date, it seems, is relatively moot.

**************************
First World Problems

Speaking of things I cannot make up.

It has recently come to my attention that some folks consider it best to bake a turkey "upside down," or breast side down. Apparently, when roasting upside down, the juices from the darker meat will pass through the white meat keeping the latter moist.

It has now come to my attention that my wife has always known that culinary trick but never dared try it since her Butterball turkeys have always come out perfect when baked "right-side up."

But I guess this is the year for upsets. Maybe it was the Trump election. My wife was a huge, huge Hillary supporter. With the country now considered a failed state, and nothing more to lose, my wife, apparently, has decided to roast the turkey this year, "upside down."

As she said: "What more do I have to lose, now that he's been elected?"

Before doing this, I checked one last time whether this was a good idea or not.

Good Housekeeping confirms the benefits of cooking the turkey "upside down," but notes what can only be described as a serious first world problem:
We've found that the roasting rack can leave unsightly marks on the turkey's breast if you cook it upside down.
"Or worse, you might end up tearing the skin when you flip the turkey," warns Sharon Franke, director of the kitchen appliances and technology lab at the Good Housekeeping Institute. If you live for that once-a-year, glamour-shot carving moment, stick to roasting right-side up.
For those who may not know how to place a turkey in the roasting pan "upside down," I've included a photograph:


I'm thankful that my wife does not read my blog.

I wonder how Melania roasts her turkey?

****************************
By The Way, Speaking Of Trump

Has anyone else noticed that the Democrats are no longer complaining about George W. Bush?

**************************
A Note to the Granddaughters

One hour of bliss before the chaos begins. It could not be more pleasant. Leonard Cohen in the background. He never disappoints. A 3/4 ounce of scotch, a very small chunk of "blueberry cobbler cheddar" made in Wisconsin, and reading the story of The Hare With Amber Eyes. I read it slowly, to really absorb, live vicariously, the journey of the author's netsuke. It's taken about 45 minutes to read 13 pages of the introduction, and I find myself going back and reading passages that I read without absorbing. Some books are not to be read quickly. This is one of them.

The middle granddaughter just telephoned. She tells me her home is now an "open house" with much to enjoy, and then dinner at 4:00 p.m.

I tell myself ten minutes of Scotch, cheese, The Hare, and peace and quiet before venturing out.

Anthem, Leonard Cohen

No comments:

Post a Comment