Sunday, October 9, 2016

NFL: Without Question, The Early Season Story -- The Dallas Cowboys And Back-Up Quarterback -- October 9, 2016

Updates

Later, 7:50 p.m. Central Time: see first comment. The "question" is this: what is the bigger NFL story for me? The NDSU phenomenon, rookie quarterback for the Philadelphia Eagles, Carson Wentz, or the Dallas Cowboys playing so well with their second-string quarterback, who is playing like a first-string quarterback?

It was an impulsive, emotional "original post" in which I suggested the Dallas Cowboys were the story in this early NFL season. I have to think really, really deeply why my "mind" went that way. I think this is the reason. Carson Wentz has proved himself; there's not much too talk about; he's incredible, no controversy. However, the Dallas Cowboys story is yet to play out and there could be a lot of "controversy" / a lot of discussion before it's all over. Let's say the Dallas Cowboys are still doing well when Tony Romo is finally "healthy." Does the flamboyant Jerry Jones switches horses in mid-stream? If the Cowboys falter, it will be an easier decision, but then what happens if Romo is injured again? But, again, it was purely an impulsive/emotional original post which could have easily gone the other way. But I think while watching the Cowboys run all over the Bengals, the idea for the post simply hit me.
 
Original Post
 
Dallas Cowboys, 3 - 1, are running over the Cincinnati Bengals, 21 - 0, late in 2nd quarter.  Dallas was very close to being 4 - 0 at this point. They almost won the first game of the season -- their only loss so far -- mostly due to mistakes by receivers in the last 30 seconds of the game (not getting out of bounds to keep time on the clock). They lost that game by one point, if I recall correctly, and should have won with a field goal.

Nice commercial:


You Don't Own Me, Leslie Gore

I never tire of Leslie Gore's version. It's interesting how often "covers" are never better than the original. This is really true of this one. Look at the "emotion" Ms Gore puts into this version, and, yes, I assume it was "lip synced." But look at how expressive she is; and, listen to the lyrics. I love it. It makes me want to get back on the road again, go back up to the Bakken. Wow. Maybe at Christmas.

*****************************
Bank Of The West

What a great country. I have a car loan with Bank of the West; the loan will be paid off soon, but I've never gotten around to updating our new address with the bank. That will become important once the final payment is made.

I stopped by our local Bank of the West here in Grapevine, Texas. It was then that I learned that there are two banks with that name. The Bank of the West here in Grapevine was not the Bank of the West with which I had an auto loan.

I went on-line and gave my Bank of the West my new address.

A day or two later I got a nice note from someone at the bank telling me that for security reasons they could not change my address on-line. To change my address I had to visit a branch of the bank. To the best of my knowledge there are no branch banks for my bank in Texas. The nearest was in Oklahoma.

Not a problem.

On my drive up to the Bakken a couple of weeks ago, I pulled into Chadron, NE, at 8:50 a.m. On the way into town I saw a billboard ad for the Bank of the West. Wow. I always stop in Chadron anyway -- the McDonald's is right at the intersection where I turn west when heading north.

I had to wait a few minutes -- the whole main street in Chadron was torn up -- utility / road infrastructure construction -- but at precisely 9:00 a.m. I walked into the Chadron, NE, branch of the Bank of the West.

I walked up to a teller -- the whole visit reminded me of this year's movie Hell or High Water -- and told her that I needed to update my address.

She pulled up my account and told me the address they had on file. It was our new address.

I then told her the story.

She laughed. She said that doesn't surprise me. It might be "a" policy not to update addresses via e-mail, but her hunch was that after I got the e-mail reply, a supervisor took a look, and say, "hey, this simply an auto loan. Let's just update the address."

I would have expected a short letter in the mail to confirm, but that's fine.

Or it's possible after driving all night, this was simply a dream. LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment