Tuesday, May 10, 2016

One Word You Don't Want To See After The Company Name You Hold Shares In: CRASHES -- May 10, 2016

MuskMelon's SolarCity seems a bit overripe: shares "crashed." Their word, not mine:
SolarCity (SCTY) – The company reported a wider-than-expected loss and gave disappointing guidance. It expects sales of $135 million to $143 million in the second quarter, versus analysts’ forecast of $151 million.
Elsewhere:
Jim Chanos is taking Elon Musk on, and so far Chanos seems to be winning.
Chanos, the founder of Kynikos Associates and legendary short seller, has made bets over the past few months against two of Musk's major endeavor, SolarCity and Tesla, and both are tumbling.
Tesla dropped 2.8% during trading Monday and is down more than 20% from its recent high on April 6, putting it into bear-market territory.
In October, Chanos questioned the firm's ability to ramp up production and fulfill orders. The production worries, combined with the company's diminishing technological advantage over other automakers, convinced Chanos that Tesla couldn't justify its high-flying stock price.
**********************************
That "Hillary Moment"

I haven't been inside a Walmart to just look around in quite some time. I've visited Walmart a couple of times in the past few weeks to pick up one or two specific items, but today I went for a number of different category items and I found myself looking at "things" and prices I had not seen in a long time. I had the same feeling that Hillary appeared to have when she used the NY subway for the first in a long time -- something some folks now call the "Hillary Moment."

First off, "never-frozen" salmon is either the very same price or actually a bit less expensive than what I find at our favorite grocer who has really, really good prices and really quality meat and seafood.

Regular groceries seemed competitive in price to least expensive available elsewhere, though nothing really stood out. In fact, by happenstance, extra sharp cheddar cheese was slightly more expensive than at our neighborhood grocer but that's because our neighborhood grocer had a special on cheese.

Bu then this. I've always expected to pay $6.98 for rotisserie chicken, the whole chicken working mothers pick up on the way home to a waiting, hungry family that seems unable to fend for themselves without maternal hunting and gathering. And cooking. And washing. And putting away.

Not today. "Rollback!" "Rollback Rotisserie chicken!" Rotisserie chickens were selling for $4.98. I don't know about you, but I find that incredible. I didn't price a fresh chicken but I doubt one can get one for much less than $4.98.

Over in personal hygiene, I didn't find any particularly great buys in shampoo, but brand-name deodorant -- and better yet, "my" brand-name deodorant -- was selling at a 2 for 1 price.

By the way, that reminds me, I might have to come back to deodorant and pheromones. It turns out Sam Kean has something to say on that subject.

As usual, there were plenty of cashiers and it was a breeze paying for everything. 


No comments:

Post a Comment