Thursday, May 26, 2016

Hillary At A Tipping Point; It's No Contest -- The Washington Post -- May 26, 2016 -- Nothing About The Bakken In This Post

California primary: dead heat between Hillary / Bernie. If it's a dead heat in the polls at this point in the campaign, it's pretty clear how this is going to turn out.  

The Washington Post turning on Hillary? The long lines at airports are a problem for Hillary Clinton.
The long security lines at U.S. airports are another problem for Hillary Clinton. A lot of Americans interact with the Transportation Security Administration, and they expect that agency to function properly. And when there is a problem, they want it fixed.
Does anyone think of Clinton as a problem-solver?
Answer: No.
Can anyone think of a problem she has ever solved?
As I have written before, the Democrats are identified as a party that agitates for interest groups and social causes. They impose their will through regulations and via the courts.
The Obama era has left the Democrats without any claim to managerial expertise or problem-solving skills, and Clinton will pay a price for that in November.
The current problems at the TSA are a perfect example. When Americans are standing in lines at our nation’s airports and fuming about incompetence in government, they don’t want to hear excuses about a lack of government resources.
Who do you think is more likely to shake things up with the bureaucrats at the Department of Homeland Security and actually get the TSA working, President Hillary Clinton or President Donald Trump? It’s no contest.
There's something else going on. The increase in airline traffic did not suddenly increase overnight. Not in May.

***********************
Tea Leaves

Batteries. It's all about batteries.

Several years ago it was all about batteries. Does anyone remember A123? Toyota has been researching battery technology for years. Steve Jobs opined often how much he could do if battery technology improved. After all these years, nothing. Minimal news on any updates / breakthroughs in battery technology. It's hard to think of anything else where so much time and money has been spent with so little to show.

Apple has a history of "falling" into some really successful ventures. Wasn't Jobs working on the tablet when he was shown the "smartphone" prototype. I don't remember the story, but whatever it was, he told his folks to put everything on the back burner on concentrate on the "smartphone." The rest is history. At least it's the history I remember, and I may be all wrong.

The story about Steve Jobs came up with the "mouse" is well known. Perhaps apocryphal, but I doubt it.

I say all that to suggest that Apple's EV foray may have a similar backstory.

I would write more, but I have just been interrupted with something more important. Be that as it may, take a look: http://www.macrumors.com/2016/05/25/apple-car-charging-stations-talks/.

****************************************
I'm Thinking of Getting Back Into Unicycling

If I remember, I will post a photograph of the last time I was on a unicycle -- just a few years ago.

This all started three days ago. I have a ten-mile circuit I ride almost every day here in DFW metroplex area. I take a break at the Grapevine Bicycle Center -- I have bought five bikes from them -- I guess six, if you count the Strider I got for Sophia. The other day I arrived just in time to unload and carry into the store three pallets of new bicycles that had just arrived.

Two days ago when I came by, a 30-ish year-old woman was in the shop to have an orange unicycle fixed. It turns out her family has (at least) three unicycles and no bicycles. I know it's at least three because each of three children (two of them daughters) rode unicycles. Exclusively.

We were stationed in Germany for seven years; we spent a lot of time in the Alps during those years.

Seldom do I find a YouTube video that is so incredibly perfect: theme, music, originality, scenery, memories. This is one of them:

Mountain Unicycling in the Karwendel Alps

No comments:

Post a Comment