Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Random Notes Before I Get Started, Part II -- The Apple Page -- Nothing About The Bakken -- April 19, 2016

I apologize. I just can't get started on the Bakken this morning. Too much else going on. I see the price of crude oil is up 3%. The shorts are getting squeezed. Thank you and a shout-out to the Kuwaiti blue collar workers, doing what Saudi princes couldn't do. LOL.

On another note, Business Insider is reporting:
Apple said on Tuesday that it will update its MacBook. 
As expected, it includes a new Intel processor, and it now comes in a "rose gold" color option. According to Apple, the new MacBook will use a "sixth-generation" Intel Core M processor, which can deliver speeds up to 3.1 GHz. The chips that Apple is using will also have improved graphics cards performance.
The new chip will enable the 2016 MacBook to squeeze out 10 hours of wireless web browsing time, or 11 hours of movie playback. 
The laptop starts at $1,299 for a configuration with a 2.2 GHz chip and 256GB of storage. Users can also opt for a higher-end model with a faster chip and 512GB of storage for $1599. 
Like before, Apple's MacBook only comes with one port: a single USB-C port that is used not only for charging the notebook, but also for data transfer and adding an additional monitor. 
For the first time, the MacBook comes in a "rose gold" color finish, a metallic color that looks a lot like pink.
"Everyone" -- including Mr Obama a couple of days ago -- complains about Time Warner Cable and their excessive costs.  I must be one of the few that loves TWC. In our area, they are incredibly responsive. 

During our move, I learned that we were overpaying TWC for what we were getting. The nice TWC woman noticedd that when I called to have my service transferred to the new apartment. She said, "Oh, my gosh, do you know you are overpaying for your service?" 

So, that was fixed. LOL.

TWC came out a week later and hooked our system up in the new apartment. I could have done it myself but TWC likes to keep that control, apparently. Apparently that's how they are able to justify a $150 modem to be rented at $12.95/month.

The technician was relatively new but I learned that the one thing new technicians at TWC are taught: splitters. Every time a TWC tech comes out to the house, the first thing they do is look for the "master outlet" and then put in another splitter. 

The other thing about "new techs," especially those under the age of 23: they tell you really neat things. I assume a 23-year-old assumes a senior citizen has no clue. The 23-year-old would be correct. Unbeknownst to me, one can get a gazillion channels on wi-fi devices at home if a subscriber to TWC. I did not know that.

My wife loves it. She can now watch ABC News With David Muir from any room in the house on any mobile device we have. 

I hate to see her carrying her MacBook Air into the kitchen to watch the cooking channel, so I'm going to get her the iPad Pro. I hadn't paid much attention to the iPad Pro and had never planned to get it, but now that we have access to 500 TV channels in every room of the apartment on every mobile device, the iPad Pro is a must-have. 

So, now I'm reading about the iPad Pro. Why wasn't I told how incredible this machine was? Wow. I may get it for my wife, but my hunch is Sophia will get the most use out of it, using the Apple Pencil.

No comments:

Post a Comment