Thursday, June 25, 2015

Kroger: Stock Split; Dividend Increase; Buyback -- June 25, 205

Yesterday in my "this is not an investment site" segment, which has become a regular feature, sometime exceeding Bakken posts, it seems (unfortunately) -- however, a lot of the posts in "this is not an investment site" segment relate to the Bakken -- whatever -- what was I saying? Oh, yes. Yesterday in my "this is not an investment site" segment I mentioned Disney, Apple, and Netflix as elements of a couple of cool stories. A reader responded by saying that he has noticed something else: splits seem to be coming more popular / more frequent regardless of the pros and cons. I've noted the same thing (not in the energy sector, however) that splits seem to be announced more often lately. We saw a lot of this prior to the last bubble. Until recently, I had not seen many splits. I do not see this as another bubble. I remain inappropriately exuberant and optimistic about the US economy.

Back to splits. The reader noted that Kroger has just announced a split and raised its dividend AND a $500-million buyback plan:
Kroger Co. said Thursday it is raising its quarterly dividend, launching a 2-for-1 stock split and initiating a $500 million stock-buyback program as the grocery chain has reported stronger results in recent quarters.
All Kroger shareholders  as of July 6 will receive one additional common share for each share they hold around July 6. This split, the fifth in Kroger’s history, will increase the number of shares outstanding to 962 million from 481 million.
Again, for those who might have missed the first part, this is not an investment site. Do not make any investment or financial decisions based on anything you read here or think you may have read here. By the way, for the record, I have never held any shares in Netflix, Disney, or Kroger. I honestly can't recall if I bought Apple in the last year. I know I bought something expensive and faddish this past year and it might have been Apple. In fact, I think I did one day when it pulled back. If I did, I was really, really late to the game. But I know I have never bought Disney, Netflix, or Kroger. And don't plan to. (Obviously, I probably hold all these stocks indirectly in my various IRAs, pension, mutual funds, etc.)

As I told the reader, I won't get into the debate regarding stock splits, but I'm in the camp of those who love stock splits (unless they are reverse stock splits). 

No comments:

Post a Comment