This is an incredibly important article.
This is not an investment site. Do not make any investment, financial, or relationship decisions based on anything you read here or think you may have read here.I may or may not provide data points from the article.
I think the Greenbrier discussion provided by Michael Filloon could be applied to many other oil-related companies and investing. Remember: many (most?) SeekingAlpha articles "disappear" after some time and a subscription is required to access them.
Over at SeekingAlpha (linked article above):
That last bullet is interesting, isn't it?
- Greenbrier's stock price has pulled back 31% from its 52-week high.
- 8% of all US crude production is transported by rail.
- There is significant upside to tank car retrofits and phase outs.
- Railroads and tank car manufacturers may be somewhat insulated to a temporary pullback of oil prices.
- The rails have been a better fit to transport crude as set up times and costs are lower than pipelines.