Tuesday, May 20, 2014

The Number Of Active Rigs Continues To Decrease In North Dakota

Wells coming off the confidential list Wednesday:
  • 25599, DRY, KOG, P Scanlan 153-98-16-9-11-16H, Truax, no production data,
  • 25780, 456, Fidelity, CGB 30-31H, Stanley, t12/13; cum 8K 3/14;
  • 25781, A, Fidelity, Garfield 30-31H, Stanley, Three Forks, 60 stages; 3.9 million lbs; no test date, no IP, producing,
  • 25942, conf, Whiting, Johnson 34-33-2H, Pleasant Hill, a nice well,
  • 26445, drl, CLR, Vachal 4-27H, Alkali Creek,
  • 26570, 258, KOG, Wildrose 159-98-15-10-3-3H3, Big Stone, t2/14; cum 3K 3/14;
  • 26915, drl, Samson Resources, Bel Air 2314-8H, Ambrose, no production yet,
NOTE on KOG's DRY well, from the well file, a sundry form: "[We] did not get a good cement job on surface and we are not able to circulate below the Fox Hills water table. Moving forward we plan to pump 160' of cement covering the interval 1740' - 1900' to cover perfs (1899').

NOTE on Fidelity's Garfield well, from the well file: 60 stages; 3.9 million lbs; no test date or IP as of date of original post.

**************************************

Active rigs:


5/20/201405/20/201305/20/201205/20/201105/20/2010
Active Rigs188189209178112

Eight (8) new permits --
  • Operators: MRO (4), Triangle Petroleum (2), OXY USA (2)
    Fields: Chimney Butte (Dunn), Elk (McKenzie), Murphy Creek (Dunn)
    Comments:
Wells coming off the confidential list were posted earlier; see sidebar at the right.

4 comments:

  1. I am tracking rig movement twice per week for the since 4/3 and it appears that there are approximately 201 rigs that are working on and off in the oil fields. There is only one rig, Nabors B24 working for Statoil in Williston that appears to have discontinued drilling since approximately 5/7. There rest are rigs that are drilling and then moving on and disappearing from the daily count

    So, I believe (although w/a dose of recognition that my analysis may be skewed) that there are actually 201 active rigs working on and off in the Bakken. Also, my numbers start on 4/3, and I don't readily see the "new" rigs yet that the rig companies are saying that are in the order process.

    Just thought you would find this analysis interesting. I am painfully working on a weekly excel spreadsheet by copying and pasting periodically the daily active rigs reports to try to develop a tracking mechanism...any suggestions would be appreciated. And, I am more than willing to share w/you what I have.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember if you wanted your comments posted or not; if these are not supposed to be posted, let me know.

      When I started the blog, I had planned to do something similar, but it quickly became overwhelming. Maybe I was trying to do too much. The other problem I had was that some of the rigs were probably moving back and forth across the state line (Montana), so they "disappeared" but they were still in the Bakken. I assume that was rare, but it happened.

      I was also interested in which rigs were the new H&P Flex rigs, and if they were increasing in number, but if I recall, I wasn't able to identify them.

      For me, personally, the bigger problem was that I was already becoming too obsessive-compulsive about the Bakken, and going in this direction (tracking rigs), it would/could be too much, so I never followed through.

      For me, looking back, tracking rigs is getting pretty deep into the weeds when I'm trying to keep track of the bigger picture, if that makes sense. I have felt comfortable just tracking daily rig counts. However, one of the things I've noticed is this: sometimes when one starts tracking something without knowing exactly why, sometimes something is discovered that is completely unexpected.

      Delete
  2. I have started looking at this detail level because you do a great job looking at the bigger picture and connecting the dots!.

    I do it for a couple of reasons. First, Hess holds our mineral rights and I am tracking to see how soon they move into Ellsworth Field--there are six cousins and we are all retirement age and really want to step off! I also do it because it appears to be the only way to really understand the timing from when a permit is granted, a rig moves into spud, the well starts being drilled and the well produces. I am observing that since the beginning of the year, Hess has been averaging 72 days from permit being issued to starting drilling--and since April 20 days.

    Additionally, it is interesting at how they move between the wells on a multi-pad.

    Thanks - and I only write what I wouldn't mind seeing posted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.

      The readers will be thrilled to hear of anything you discover. I always found it rewarding to track data over time; often nothing came of it, but every so often, it was very interesting.

      I track the Ellsworth field here; I haven't put much there yet; I see Hess has at least two permits so far; Hess has had some really good wells recently. Good luck.

      http://themilliondollarway.blogspot.com/2011/12/thirteen-13-new-permits-bakken-north.html

      Delete