Sunday, January 26, 2014

Oil Holds; Market Could Have A Rough, Scary Start In The Morning

Futures mean squat, but it's nice to see that the price of oil is holding. It's actually up about fifty cents/bbl. But Dow futures, down about 50 points right now, suggests that the it could be a bit scary at the market open tomorrow morning.

But that's not the reason for the post. In fact, I may re-write this whole post but keep the note for my granddaughters.

Reminder: wells coming off the confidential list tomorrow have been posted.

*******************************
A Note to the Granddaughters

One of my favorite movies ever was American Graffiti. 

The movie was set in 1962. I graduated from high school in 1969, so it was not far from my own experiences. I have the "Special Edition" with the director's commentary, George Lucas. The movie is just as good as I remember, but the commentary is absolutely excellent. If you grew up in the 60's, especially in a small town, or anywhere west of the Hudson River, I suppose, you must see the movie with the commentary of George Lucas.

The movie follows the "adventures" of four male friends, exactly tracking my high school experience.

"Everyone" knows "all" the young actors who got their start in Hollywood with this movie; interestingly enough, there were more such actors than one might realize, and won't know unless you hear the commentary. I won't specifically mention the specifics.

George Lucas really does a superb job with his commentary.

It's hard to believe just how talented some folks are. Just one example. This was Mackenzie Phillips' acting debut. She was twelve years old. I never would have guessed. She was really, really good in this movie. It's amazing. From wiki:
Phillips attended Highland Hall Waldorf School in Northridge, California. At age 12, Phillips formed a band with three of her classmates and was spotted by a casting agent during one of their performances. She was given an audition for a role in the 1973 hit film American Graffiti, which she won.
And, of course, for her, the rest was history.

By the way, the "Special Edition" includes scenes that were deleted by the studio before the movie that was released. I was not aware of that until I listened to the commentary. I thought I was seeing scenes I had not remembered when I first saw the movie years ago.

The movie came out the year I graduated from college. I was journaling all those years; it would be interesting if I happened to note when I first saw the movie. Unlikely. It would be interesting to know exactly where I was, what I was doing when I saw the movie.

During the summer of 1973 I had hitchhiked from Williston to New York City, from where I flew Luxemburg Air, to spend the summer hitchhiking through Europe. [I did a lot of "hiking" in Europe, but not a lot of "hitching."] I don't know when I saw the movie. According to wiki, it was released August 1, 1973; I was still in Europe.

I look forward to watching the movie with the commentary with my wife. It's a must see.

And, yes, "one dot" connects the video to American Graffiti.

Magic Carpet Ride, Steppenwolf
 
 
Watching the dance scene in American Graffiti reminded me of the dance "scenes" in Mulholland Drive. It's interesting to think what David Lynch would have done with the American Graffiti script had he produced/directed it from the Mulholland Drive perspective. Another scary thought. LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment