Friday, December 20, 2013

Meandering Musings: I Wish They Would Turn The Heat On; WOW! GDP 4.1 3Q13!

Disclaimer: this is not an investment site. Do not make any investment decisions based on what you read here or what you think you may have read here.

Wow, I was in a bad mood this morning. I miss Texas. Whenever I am in a bad mood or anxious, I try to "list" the things that could be bothering me. Then, I determine what the worst outcome would be for each and what I can do to minimize the concern or remove it completely.

It also helped to find the "right" music and play it very, very loudly, literally forcing out other thoughts.

And, then getting some e-mail from several readers helped me a whole lot. I got more notes that usual from readers today. Christmas spirit?

I appreciate most the comments from an individual offering to buy me a cup of coffee if I'm ever up his way.

It's interesting. I avoid all personal (verbal) contact with folks interested in talking about the Bakken. E-mail is fine. But not in person. I've made two exceptions. Both exceptions have worked out very well. Actually, there was a third exception; a telephone "interview" of sorts. Really, really nice, but I won't do it again.

By the way, speaking of those exceptions, meeting folks in person, I have to post a note regarding one such encounter. I've always thought there would be a niche for an individual (or a company) to provide one-stop shopping for those who have:
a) mineral rights in more than one well in the Bakken
b) surface rights of more than 80 acres in the Bakken
These folks need a) legal advice; b) geologic advice; c) financial advice; d) tax advice; e) estate planning; g) contract reviews; h) advice on said contracts; i) real estate sales/brokerage; and, probably a whole lot more. I am not aware of anyone doing that. Correction. I am now aware of one.

Farmers receiving a million dollars annually in oil royalties in the better Bakken, are no longer farmers. They are oilmen who are now hobby farming. That is not an original thought. A reader told me that.

This is not the song that helped this morning, it was the song before this one, but this one is too unique not to post:

After Hours, The Velvet Underground, solo, Maureen Tucker

The line has stretched outside the door all morning, since 8:00 a.m., at this particular Starbucks in San Pedro, California. I wish they would turn the heat on. 

London Homesick Blues, Gary P Nunn with Jerry Jeff Walker

Years ago, on my very first trip to Texas, I was amazed at all the dead armadillos I saw on the highway. I don't see so many dead armadillos any more; in fact, I cannot recall the last time I saw a dead armadillo. Either I'm not traveling in west Texas enough, or Darwin has finally eliminated the problem.

************************************
Disclaimer: this is not an investment site. Do not make any investment decisions based on what you read here or what you think you may have read here.

Wow, the market has taken off this morning. Or I guess this afternoon. I'm in California and it's well past noon on the east coast.

This story, I guess, is driving the market:
Stocks rose on Friday, putting the S&P 500 on pace for its best week in five months, as an unexpectedly strong report on U.S. growth boosted investor confidence that the economy could handle a wind-down of Federal Reserve stimulus.
Gross domestic product grew at a 4.1 percent annual rate in the third quarter, the fastest pace in almost two years, and higher than the 3.6 percent pace reported earlier this month. Business spending was also stronger than previously estimated.
I have to update the earlier post, the "famous" "3.6 3Q13" post.

Chevron among Credit Suisse's top energy picks for 2014 http://seekingalpha.com/currents.

Speaking of Jerry Jeff Walker, this song was from one of the most unique, one of the best albums I ever bought. I still have the vinyl somewhere. I tossed hundreds of vinyl records years ago, but kept a few.

Wheel, Jerry Jeff Walker


It's hard to believe that one man while I was alive could have written both "Mr Bojangles" and "Wheel" -- both sound like they might have been traditional or folk songs written by an unknown lyricist from the 1930's.

No comments:

Post a Comment