Saturday, November 23, 2013

Wall Street Journal: Individual Mandate Delayed; Time Warner Cable In Play; American Strategy For The Arctic

The Wall Street Journal

Front page, top story: President Obama delays individual mandate -- one week.
The Obama administration reached agreement with insurers to give people an extra week to sign up for coverage in time for Jan. 1 amid problems with the federal health site.
I'm sure the president asked for a lot more time; arms twisted to get just six more days. This is still going to be a fascinating story to watch play out. My question: will six days really mean all that much in the big scheme of things. If the president is personally negotiating six-day extensions and Sebelius is happy with news of two Floridians enrolling while she was visiting the state, things are not going well. John McAfee says the site is a "hacker's dream" and Consumer Reports says to avoid it. I just don't see a 6-day extension making any difference, but the headline remains: President Obama delays the individual mandate.

Disclaimer: remember, this is not an investment site. Do not make any investment decisions based on anything you read here or anything you think you may have read here.

At least two companies are in the hunt to take over Time Warner Cable

Chuck Hagel unveiled the administration's new Arctic strategy.

Interesting: "Men's Backpacks Are Back.' This is a long, long article on backpacks for men. I "wear" one almost continuously -- biking, and it always goes with me if I'm driving somewhere. My "life" is in that bag: books, computer, correspondence. I bought my British-made "Karrimor" back in 2002, or thereabouts, and it looks like it will last a few more years (one strap is starting to separate from the pack, but I suppose a shoe tailor could fix that).  Unfortunately, it doesn't look like my particular backpack is available any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment