Wednesday, September 4, 2013

I Knew I Wouldn't Have To Wait Long ...

... this past Saturday, just three or four days ago, I posted an article and a comment about some "journalist" reporting that Americans were losing their love affair with the automobile. At that time I had one word for it: buffalo chips. I guess that's two words but my wife told me not to use the one word I used Saturday. Smile.

Saturday, CNBC was reporting:
So, how to explain the fact that even as the economy finally is showing real signs of recovery the number of miles driven continues to decline. That report from the Federal Highway Administration is just the latest indication that Americans may be falling out of love with their automobiles
The link takes you a wonderfully written post by a brilliant columnist. LOL. But I digress. 

I knew when I wrote that article I wouldn't have to wait long, but, wow, only four days later Ford is reporting:
  • Ford Motor Company August U.S. retail sales increase 20 percent – best retail sales month since August 2006; total sales up 12 percent
  • Fusion sales achieve August sales record; strongest gains coming from the western region of the country
  • Led by Fiesta and C-MAX hybrids, Ford small car sales jump 30 percent, driving coastal and millennial retail share gains
  • F-Series sales top 70,000 vehicles for the second time this year
  • All-new Lincoln MKZ posts best-ever August sales
  • Ford announces 2013 fourth-quarter production of 785,000 vehicles, up 7 percent from 2012
My hunch is that the only ones losing their love affair with the automobile are journalists who have some kind of agenda. So much filler on CNBC

**************************************
 Later:

Now, Chrysler reporting the same thing -- sales up 12%. Reuters is reporting: 
Chrysler Group LLC reported a 12 percent gain in U.S. August auto sales and predicted that the industry will continue on its hot streak as it heads into the fall selling season, when new models are introduced.

Chrysler said that it expects a seasonally adjusted sales rate for August of 16.1 million vehicles, including medium and heavy trucks.
This overall sales rate would be in line with the 15.8 million forecast by 45 analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters. Industry estimates exclude medium and heavy trucks, which typically account for 300,000 in annual sales.

No comments:

Post a Comment