Saturday, September 14, 2013

Catty Observation To Start The Day

My hunch is two MDW readers saw this story about Denver's growth:
Denver has been hovering in Boulder's start-up-scene shadow, but the "little sister" city has been drawing its own star power of late.
"It feels like it's in the new frontier of the entrepreneurial hot spots," says Chris Myers, co-founder of BodeTree, a venture-backed start-up that provides financial analysis and reporting tools for small businesses.
Myers had been living in Phoenix up until recently, when he relocated to join his business partner in Denver. The company's headquarters are located in downtown Denver in a building originally constructed in 1865.
Read the entire article. See if you can see what one reader noted.

Can't see it.

Search for the following word in that article: oil.

Okay, search for the following word in that article: energy.

How can a writer write about growth in Denver and not mention oil or energy.

In the "old days"; in the 1980's US oil boom, there were two cities synonymous with oil (and penny stocks): Houston and Denver.

This reporting is so bad, I was curious about the writer. This is what I sent Don:
Your note got me curious. This is the writer's background:

http://www.entrepreneur.com/author/catherine-clifford

She has a college degree and that's about it. It looks like she has never been west of the Hudson River. (The map below shows the location of the Hudson River.)

I sold myself short. I should have promoted MDW as the leading authority on the Bakken, and then marketed the blog to some NYC publishing company. Wow, I blew it. I could have hired TR&E as consultants.
Even she knows how weak her degree is; she calls herself an entrepreneur.

No comments:

Post a Comment