Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Energy Markets

Now that I've gotten the mundane out of the way, what are the energy markets doing?

Remember: this is not an investment site. Do not make any investment decisions based on anything you read here or anything you think you might have read here. 

The market does not yet reflect it, but "US homebuilder confidence, sales outlook soar." Okay.

Oil is flat to a very, very, very pale shade of green (up 20 cents).

Bakken is now at parity with WTI for all practical purposes. In fact, in isolated cases, Bakken may be selling at a premium. I remember folks writing me to tell me that the Keystone XL pipeline would lower the price for Bakken oil. In the past two years, the Bakken has put in the equivalent of a Keystone XL (not including rail) and the Bakken is now selling at world-class prices. Interesting.

So, speaking of pipelines, what are they doing?
  • ENB up slightly
  • EEP with some profit taking after hitting a 52-week high yesterday
  • EPD down today after hitting a 52-week high yesterday, I believe
Those are all I really care about. What about operators?
  • OAS down slightly
  • KOG down slightly
  • TPLM down almost a percent
  • SD is actually up a penny
  • CHK flat
  • COP with some profit taking after hitting a 52-week high yesterday
  • CVX, my favorite of course, down a bit today
  • XOM flat
  • EOG up $1.50 but still below its 52-week high (but getting close)
How about the one refiner I like to check in on periodically?
  • PSX -- wow, someone's not happy; down $1.50
Utilities?
  • SRE down in early trading, but again, it hit a 52-week high yesterday
  • CNP pulled back a bit but came within three pennies of a new 52-week high
Misc?
  • BRK-B is up again today at a new 52-week high; one wonders how much BNSF has to do with this?
  • UNP is down a dollar; probably profit-taking; it is near its 52-week high
I am a long-term investor in most of the stocks I mention on the blog, but not all. In some cases I own all of ten shares; I won't be affecting company policy with my voting rights.  I won't be trading in the next 72 hours; in fact, I won't be trading at all this month. Maybe not even in the next six months. Smile. Except for automatic buying programs in place for decades.

No comments:

Post a Comment