Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Why I Love To Blog

Had I not started blogging, I never would have started tweeting. And I only started tweeting last week, after blogging since 2007. I'm a late adopter.

And had I never tweeted, I might have missed this short essay on Dorothy Parker at The Wall Street Journal.

Dorothy Parker is one of my all-time favorite writers.

I think she and Hunter S. Thompson would have gotten along just fine.

From the linked essay:
She turned her scathing wit on herself, as well. When a party host explained that a game involving a barrel of floating fruit was called “ducking for apples,” Mrs. Parker said, “Change one letter and it’s the story of my life.”
Her wit was also a shield from pain. On finding herself pregnant from a man who wanted nothing more to do with her, she remarked, “It serves me right for putting all my eggs in one bastard.”
A popular favorite involved brilliant word play. When someone asked her if she could use “horticulture” in a sentence, Dorothy Parker responded, “You can lead a horticulture but you can’t make her think.”

No comments:

Post a Comment